Wich mount for mobility use? William Optics CAT Series · Roma Pixelarts · ... · 8 · 179 · 4

Stargaze 1.81
hey guys... i want a new mount for the redcat wich i can take with my car easily.
so it has to be light but also stable enough to handle following attachements:

-redcat
-zwo asi 294mm
-zwo EFW mini with 5 1,25" filters
-zwo EAF + adapter, belt....
-30mm guidescope
-zwo asi 120mms
-heatstrips
-polarscope

is ther a common mount you guys prefer?

thx alot
Edited ...
dkuebler 0.00
·  2 likes
Hi Ronny,

i use very similar equipment and bought a HEQ5 pro. It's lightweight enough to carry easily and more than adequately sized for this equipment.

edit: here's an image of the rig:
rig.jpg
Edited ...
ToliH 3.27
Hi Ronny,
I am using the StarAdventurer as a compact mobile mount (for further details about my equipment mounted thereto you may refer

Sh2-171 // NGC 7822

I am very satisfied with the SA. However, I have to admit that I am operating it slightly above the specified max. load of 5 kg.
I don't know exactly how much your entire setup weighs.
Certainly, there may be other suggestions more suitable for your specific needs.
CS Thilo
Edited ...
Craigbob 0.00
My travel rig is the Explore Scientific IEXOS 100. I use that with the Whitecat and my Pentax K-1.  I guide using the MGEN III standalone autoguider.

I've got a photo somewhere. and when I find it I'll post it.
joeytroy 0.90
·  1 like
I am using the EQM-35 Pro it's light enough to move around and even lighter if it needs to be broken down as I have all the cables routed nicely so I can just disconnect everything from the main image device and tear it apart.

Edited ...
ngialiris 2.15
Also use SW HEQ5Pro with RedCat51 from home which is a perfect match and when in remote locations, use Star Adventurer but note total payload of SA is 11ibs and should ideally be at 50-60% of that for imaging to avoid sag and tracking issues.
DanRossi 4.72
I use the iOptron SmartEQ Pro+, the ASI Air Pro, a 30mm guide scope, and a Canon T5i.

Of course my scope is a Redcat (Spacecat variant).

This mount is a Goto mount, and when paired with the ASI Air's platesolving capability it is really nice to use.

This mount can be powered either with an AC power cord or with AA batteries if you need to go ultra portable. The AA batteries last about one full night.

This mount's go-to ability isn't that accurate, but its tracking is good. Oh and the polar scope is pretty unreliable, but again in my case the ASI Air's PA routine sidesteps it.

I can power everything with a battery similar to a Jackery, but I forgot the brand name.
Edited ...
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
I've used the Rainbow Astro RST-135 with mine for just over a year.  It is really a terrific little mount and EXTREMELY portable.  It isn't cheap and many on this forum have strong opinions about that, but I just thought I would chime in.  Personally, I couldn't be happier with a mount that has no need for counterweights, sets up in just a few seconds and fits easily into a backpack.  Easy to power with a battery too.

Hope that helps.
Tim.
north.stargazer 0.90
·  3 likes
Hey Ronny,
For portability I'm a big fan of the SkyWatcher AZ-GTi.
It's similar in spend and payload to a Star Adventurer, except you get Go-To functionality in a very small package. Just add a wedge (I like the William Optics model) and upload new firmware to run in EQ mode. I've also used the RedCat on my EQM35-pro, but that's a far heavier setup.

I'm now running two of these with as much automation as possible (because Canadian winters ). One is carrying the RedCat with most of the components you listed. The 2nd one is running as a dedicated setup for my wide angle and 70-200mm EOS lenses + DSLR. I've been able to get up to 10 minute subs with my RedCat rig with very good results.

Here's a photo of the RedCat configuration. This is an older pic and I have since refined the mount a little more (better counterweight, added Pegasus Powerbox Micro, etc.). It's currently showing a pretty massive ASI2600MC, but I often swap in my mono camera and 7pos 36mm EFW too.

20201110_090842.jpg
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.