Focus "decision" images [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Martin Weiss · ... · 4 · 249 · 0

albusmw 0.00
·  1 like
Hello,

I am currently working in my own AutoFocus-Algorithm which works fine for me up-to-now.
Now the next step will be to test is on other's images.

So my request is: Do you have any images with different focus positions or data generated during your auto-focus process that you can share with me? That would be great ...

Best regards and CS

Martin.
jhayes_tucson 22.40
·  1 like
Here's a set of images through focus from my system.

John
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.25.56 PM.png
Edited ...
albusmw 0.00
Hi John - thanks for your image.
Do you also have a bigger / single image? I could take the pieces out but a bigger image might perhaps be more realistic.
Which software do you use for focusing at the moment?
jhayes_tucson 22.40
·  1 like
Martin,
You weren't very specific about how you are focusing and there are a lot of ways to focus.  I use astigmatic focusing using Focus Lock and ONAG.  The most important parameters with an astigmatic  system are the eccentricity and orientation of the star image--not the size.  An advantage of astigmatic focusing is that it has constant sensitivity through focus, which is roughly about 0.1 waves in the exit pupil.  It can also run in real time with the shutter open.  V-curve focusing had decreasing sensitivity as you approach the best focus position--and it cannot run in real time, which greatly reduces acquisition efficiency.  It works but it's not my preferred way to focus.

John
nekitmm 2.41
·  1 like
I think I might have what you need - a series of images around best focus position. PM me if you are still interested!

Register or login to create to post a reply.