Autodarks, preflash and SIPS Moravian Users · SicIturAdAstra · ... · 4 · 57 · 0

SicIturAdAstra 0.00
Hi everyone,
Just got my newly acquired (but not new!) G2-8300, I have setup everything and it seems to work well. I haven't test on the sky yet because of, well, weather of course...
First CCD for me (I was using, and still use cmos), so "autodark" and "preflash" are new to me.
The previous owner told me he was doing autodark (with MaximDL). I'm using NINA.
So, I was wondering:
-Will "standard" darks will work as well or is it preferable (i.e. are you doing it) to do autodark?
-As NINA hasn't any option it seems for preflash, will it be an issue? The ASCOM properties have a preflash option but it looks like I can't tweak it.
-Are you using SIPS? Is it mandatory? Or in other words, do I need a software with "more control" like SIPS and SGP?

Can't wait for those damn clouds to go away...

Thank you!
rbotero 0.00
·  2 likes
Hello

User of a G4-16000 for 5+ years here.   I only use the ASCOM driver with Voyager.  It should work just like that with NINA.  I don't do pre-flash or autodark.  I take darks and bias using the same software I use for acquisition; I think this what you refer to as "standard" in your message.  Just try the camera out in NINA:  acquire some darks, bias and flats and a short integration of a bright object.  You should be good to go.
Good luck!

Roberto
astroedo 6.21
·  2 likes
I have a G3-16200, I don't use autodark feature (I create a dark/bias library at typical working temperature every 6 months during cloudy nights ).

I keep also the preflash OFF: the preflash is intended only to solve the RBI problem (if you encouter it).
Activating preflash mainy means that you need a dark library with the preflashe active and exactly the same time and temperature of your light frames (you cannot use dark optimization in PixInsight for example).

you can find additional info about RBI here.

https://www.gxccd.com/art?id=418&cat=52&lang=409

Anyway I don't think that you really need it (none of my fiends with the G2-8300 use it).

Bye
Edoardo
Edited ...
SicIturAdAstra 0.00
·  1 like
Hi

Thanks both of you!

Yes, I don't really like the idea of "autodarks", I prefer to have control on the calibration.

I've done a few tests with NINA (dark, bias and flat frames) and it seems to work well with ASCOM. Still can't test it in real conditions as the weather is cr*p since a month! My concern was due to a post I read on a forum about issues with the preflash, NINA would not command the dithering because of it. But it was something like one year old, so maybe it's resolved now, and, as you said, I shouldn't need preflash anyway. So, all good!
you cannot use dark optimization in PixInsight

Good to know if I need to use preflash, thank you.

Thanks a lot to both of you.
Wish me good weather! ;)

Bye

Thibault
astroedo 6.21
·  1 like
Thanks a lot to both of you.
Wish me good weather!

Clear skies! for all of us!

This winter was terrible here in northent Italy: since november only 5/6 good night

bye

Register or login to create to post a reply.