Too many narrow band images in this group Broadband under Bortle 7/8/9 · Victor Van Puyenbroeck · ... · 5 · 250 · 0

VicV 3.77
·  3 likes
I wanted to give a kind reminder to the group members:

This group is intended to showcase what can be accomplished when doing broadband imaging under high levels of light pollution.

Please refrain from using this group tag for Hubble palette images (SHO) and duo-narrowband images (e.g. L-extreme filter). These images are not representative for broadband photography.
Edited ...
Trikkievic 0.90
Victor Van Puyenbroeck:

This group is intended to showcase what can be accomplished when doing broadband imaging under high levels of light pollution.

Please refrain from using this group tag for Hubble palette images (SHO) and duo-narrowband images (e.g. L-extreme filter). These images are not

Victor Van Puyenbroeck:

Please refrain from using this group tag for Hubble palette images (SHO) and duo-narrowband images (e.g. L-extreme filter). These images are not representative for broadband photography.

To be sure, using narrowband (e.g. Ha) to enhance RGB data (such as HaRGB) is considered “Broadband”?
VicV 3.77
I guess that still fits within the theme of the group, though I would exclude e.g. pure narrowband images with RGB stars.

@Chris Sullivan as group owner, what do you prefer?
Chris-PA 3.31
·  2 likes
Yeah, the idea behind this group was just LRGB or color camera images using (at most) a broadband filter like the L-Pro (and NOT the L-eNhance or L-Xtreme). I mean, I definitely wouldn't rule out galaxies with Ha in them - LR(Ha)GB is definitely kosher here - and I myself did put my Wizard RGB image up in the group even though there was some narrowband data used for luminance detail. But the point of the group was to show that decent *broadband* images were possible under heavy light pollution. It's sort of become my gospel: When I started out, people were telling me to give up since dark skies are unreachable for me - it'd take me like 4 hours to drive to Bortle 4. I did think about selling my gear and giving up the hobby until I saw some galaxy images from Derek Santiago, who images under Bortle 7 skies. Thanks to him and for showing me what was possible, I stuck with it and I'm super glad I did. I've put together some galaxy images I'm really proud of (even if they do have ridiculous integration times).

Anyway: Narrowband imaging is mostly possible from anywhere and is not the point of this group. It is about what you can do with LRGB or color imaging under bright skies, so I definitely agree that this isn't the place for posting SHO images.

And thank you, Victor, for bringing this up - I've been away from Astrobin (and astroimaging) since November. I'm trying to get back into it though!
TareqPhoto 2.94
·  1 like
That is the best action to do, i keep asking a lot in Facebook about "Broadbanding" results under heavy light pollution but people keep bringing like NB filters or even those dual banding filters results in the answers, i assume people are smart enough to know what is a broadband and what is a narrowband.

Also thanks to you Chris Sullivan for posting your galaxies or broadband results while you are under light pollution sky, this is also giving me hope, in fact i don't give up even without seeing any result because i felt like there is a hope and a possibility but people don't like to spend longer time to make it possible and they prefer to drive very fay, in my situation the driving far to dark skies is much worse than the light pollution in my area.
noon 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I wanted to just send a little shout out of appreciation for this post. The reason I joined this group was also to get a little inspiration/encouragement regarding imaging in heavy light pollution. This hobby has a steep enough learning curve even for those fortunate enough to live below dark skies, and for those of us living in urban centers, it can be a battle to maintain hope.  I look at this group as a kind of support group for the dark sky impaired so we can share successes and help maintain the enthusiasm and hope that we started out with. Whether OSC or LRGB with a mono cam, these broadband targets will be where we shine.

Thank you.

Register or login to create to post a reply.