J21 checks in Introduce yourself! · J21_Jas · ... · 5 · 62 · 0

J21_Jas 0.00
·  2 likes
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of this forum, based in southern Russia, and I'd like to share tips about pictures of space and starry skies, with a "simple" camera or with a telescope. That idea appeared in my mind when I was driving a couple weeks ago, stopped in the middle of the night because I had hit something (fortunately, it was just a big piece of solidified snow), and spent ten minutes just gazing at the night sky, which was perfectly clear - I was miles away from any sort of city or village, at that moment - and almost looked clearer and sharper in the freezing temperature.
I tried, like a good old beginner, to take a picture of it with my phone, and it went as well as you'd expect. Since then, I've always had somewhere in my mind a desire to retry, with either a great camera, or through a telescope, and this is why I'm here now.

Thank you in advance for your answers!
RawNoise 0.00
That "moment" you look up and it just hits you!! The vast beauty and calmness you experience is breathtaking. Glad your here and can't wait to see your nights lights!!
J21_Jas 0.00
·  1 like
And I can't wait to show them, too!
mgermani 5.38
·  1 like
Welcome J21!

Cost and a steep learning-curve are often barriers to this hobby. The night sky belongs to everybody, so I look forward to seeing what you're able to accomplish with your camera & telescope. I just gave a compact camera to my daughter with a "manual" mode, so I'm going to see how much mileage we can get from it.

Good luck and clear skies!

Cheers,
Mark
J21_Jas 0.00
Okay, I have a dumb question: can I take a picture through binoculars and still have it turn out a-okay? I have borrowed a decent camera, and I have a pair of binoculars at home.
RawNoise 0.00
You technically could do it! I would want the binos to be locked down someway for stability and I would only use a iPhone or some other smart phone for image capture. I used to do just that but I used a spotting scope with an adapter for my phone. If you have the camera I would save and invest in at least a star tracker. That would give you a much better result for a low entry fee!!

Good luck and clear skies,

Stephen

Register or login to create to post a reply.