Help with choosing a reputable professional modification service and proper modifications Generic equipment discussions · Brett Joslin · ... · 6 · 145 · 0

Brett.Joslin 0.00
Hi All

i just purchased my first camera that I’m going to dedicate for astrophotography. I purchased  Canon 6D and want to send it to get modified. I’m new to Astro photography and have been photographing the Milky Way for about a year now. I chose this camera because I have lenses and batteries for my everyday camera that will work with this camera. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good professional service that’s reputable to modify my camera? I want to make sure that I’m set up to be able to use the camera with my current lenses and the refractor I’m going to purchase soon.  As I started looking into this I noticed there’s different modifications that could be done. Do you have recommendations for that as well?  I just want to make sure that I’m set up for success with multiple options. Thank you for your help!
Anding
·  1 like
I can recommend this guy:

http://www.tan14.com.hk/suneast/23-Mod.htm
matthew.maclean 3.97
·  1 like
What region/country are you in? In the US, the two big ones I am aware of are Spencer's Camera and LifePixel (both have the same basic options and similar prices I believe). On LifePixel's website, there is an "Education" tab in the menu banner that explains a lot about the different modification options and shows examples. I think if you just want to shoot hydrogen nebula DSO's where you want to be sensitive to red but not IR, then the Hydrogen-Alpha modification is fine - that removes the red-blocking filter but they leave or install a (visibly) clear glass filter that still blocks IR light. The full-spectrum option is more flexible if you want to do other things with it or use your own IR-block filter -  in that case, you just have to use a filter on the telescope. Depending on which telescope you want to get, usually there is somewhere to install one on the flattener or they make some that clip into most cameras.
andreatax 7.22
·  1 like
If you are in the UK (or can ship easily to and fro) I'd recommend this service:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/index.htm

I had mine done by him. Use a full spectrum mod and add a IR/UV Cut clip-on afterward.
Brett.Joslin 0.00
·  1 like
What region/country are you in? In the US, the two big ones I am aware of are Spencer's Camera and LifePixel (both have the same basic options and similar prices I believe). On LifePixel's website, there is an "Education" tab in the menu banner that explains a lot about the different modification options and shows examples. I think if you just want to shoot hydrogen nebula DSO's where you want to be sensitive to red but not IR, then the Hydrogen-Alpha modification is fine - that removes the red-blocking filter but they leave or install a (visibly) clear glass filter that still blocks IR light. The full-spectrum option is more flexible if you want to do other things with it or use your own IR-block filter -  in that case, you just have to use a filter on the telescope. Depending on which telescope you want to get, usually there is somewhere to install one on the flattener or they make some that clip into most cameras.

@matthew.maclean   I’m in Maine. I would prefer to avoid international shipping but don’t care otherwise. What’s important is quality work price and turnaround. I found Spencer’s but didn’t see lifepixel. I will check them out and the info you recommended!  Trevor astro backyard  mentioned http://www.imaginginfinity.com/dslrmods.html which is in South Carolina and had a good price.

Other then tinkering with my camera lenses I’m going to purchase a refractor telescope which seems to be widely recommended for beginners and costs. So far I’ve been leaning towards the radian raptor 61 which has good reviews and is compatible with full frame cameras which I have. I’m open to other suggestions though.  Last a consideration I have for this camera is to be able to use it as a backup camera if my other one goes down, have the option to shoot Milky Way, and DSO. As I understand all you need are clip in filters to revert it back.  Thank you for the info!!!
DanRossi 4.72
·  1 like
I purchased a modified DSLR from Life Pixel, if you're in the USA. They have a modification service as well, and found them easy to work with.
dorgian412 0.00
·  1 like
You might try http://dslrmodifications.com/

Several years ago, I followed Gary's directions for my Canon and it took a while but wasn't too hard. He can do it professionally for you or you could just do it yourself and save several hundred dollars.

Register or login to create to post a reply.