Jupiter Data feedback needed + processing struggle [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Sean van Drogen · ... · 4 · 150 · 2

Sean1980 3.15
Managed to grab some Jupiter data last night with the following setup WO ZS73 + Powermate x4 + ZWO ADC + ZWO ASI462MC
I know this is not the ideal setup for planetary imaging but its the gear that was available to me.

Used AS3 to get some images from the 39x 30s videos did a 5% 10% and 25% stack.
Where I am now struggling is getting these sharpened in Registax. read all the tutorials and guides that i could find but cant get a decent image outcome

Now i am left with a few questions:
1) is the data just crap and should i not bother any further
2) if the data is crap where did i go wrong, focus, gain etc any constructive feedback welcome

Here a link to the AS3 stacks if you want to have look
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ViqjcBCgBqMu9ZshBVr1yyk1ZQQ_S2hh/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for the support
andreatax 7.22
I'm not sure what your expectations were. It seems pretty obvious that a 3" should only give you that much, even avoiding considerations of seeing which you didn't specify (which is always critical in planetary imaging). At that image scale you'd typically want a good 6" at least so you basically wasted image scale that should have been better used to improve contrast. I'm also kind dubious of focus unless the seeing was so appaling that bringing the image to focus was hopeless task. But only you can answer those questions...
Sean1980 3.15
andrea tasselli:
I'm not sure what your expectations were. It seems pretty obvious that a 3" should only give you that much, even avoiding considerations of seeing which you didn't specify (which is always critical in planetary imaging). At that image scale you'd typically want a good 6" at least so you basically wasted image scale that should have been better used to improve contrast. I'm also kind dubious of focus unless the seeing was so appaling that bringing the image to focus was hopeless task. But only you can answer those questions...

No clear expectations from my side to be honest. Just trying to make the most out of what I have, but point taken on the limitation of my setup
With regards to your questions seeing was 3/5 so not optimal.
Used the sharpcap focusing support to get in focus, but was my first time so could be I did not get the best focus possible.

Jupiter

Saturn

All in all better than I would have guessed
Finally figured out the registax sharpening
Edited ...
andreatax 7.22
Looking at those images I'm pretty sure they're not in focus. There is also some weird chromatic aberration (maybe the ADC not used properly?). When doing planetary imaging the only way to focus is by looking at the image on the screen and judging when it is in sharpest focus. If you can't tell and all is a featureless blob then there is no point in going any further.
Sean1980 3.15
andrea tasselli:
Looking at those images I'm pretty sure they're not in focus. There is also some weird chromatic aberration (maybe the ADC not used properly?). When doing planetary imaging the only way to focus is by looking at the image on the screen and judging when it is in sharpest focus. If you can't tell and all is a featureless blob then there is no point in going any further.

Probably right that there is something wrong with the ADC setup, used Sharpcap assist to do it, but my guess i did not properly align it to begin with.
Good to know that manual focus would be the best way to do it.

Thanks for the tips, now just need another clear night to put into practice

Register or login to create to post a reply.