Bortle 7,8, and 9 Broadband under Bortle 7/8/9 · Greg Ray · ... · 10 · 330 · 4

NovaTJ 0.00
Well looks like I have to unsubscribe from this group as the lastest clear sky app lists my location as a bortle class 5 now! Sure would have fooled me!
carastro 8.04
·  1 like
Good to know about your Bortle classification.

Carole
2ghouls 6.71
·  5 likes
I wouldn't necessarily trust an app to tell you your Bortle class, which was designed as a visual system. I have at times travelled only 10 miles and and gone from Bortle 7 to 5. A lot of the apps and maps don't have that level of granularity.

Here is the link for the original article by John Bortle: https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/light-pollution-and-astronomy-the-bortle-dark-sky-scale/

Differentiating 7 from 5 is pretty easy:
In the summer, can you see the milky way (faintly) overhead from your location? That would make it Bortle 5. If you can only see the core than Bortle 6. If not at all then Bortle 7.

Clear skies, Nico
Juno16
·  1 like
Nico Carver:
I wouldn't necessarily trust an app to tell you your Bortle class, which was designed as a visual system. I have at times travelled only 10 miles and and gone from Bortle 7 to 5. A lot of the apps and maps don't have that level of granularity.

Here is the link for the original article by John Bortle: https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/light-pollution-and-astronomy-the-bortle-dark-sky-scale/

Differentiating 7 from 5 is pretty easy:
In the summer, can you see the milky way (faintly) overhead from your location? That would make it Bortle 5. If you can only see the core than Bortle 6. If not at all then Bortle 7.

Thanks for the explanation Nico!
My sky app states that I am in a Bortle 5 zone. I have a large school to the east and trees to the west. I haven't seen the Milky Way core in years.
I did see the MW core years ago, but only because I knew where it was. My wife could never see it. 
I know that it is subjective, but I classify my skies as Bortle 7.
bdm201170 1.20
· 
·  1 like
hello for everybody 

my name Brian,  from  MIAMI   FL   USA .    my   SQM 16.84  ( real live reading ) 
IMG_5174.JPG
NovaTJ 0.00
· 
Brian Diaz, what does SQM mean?

Greg
Juno16
· 
·  1 like
Brian Diaz:
hello for everybody 

my name Brian,  from  MIAMI   FL   USA .    my   SQM 16.84  ( real live reading ) 
IMG_5174.JPG

I will not complain about my skies again!

Your images are exceptional. Nice work!

Jim
Edited ...
Ethan 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Everyone,

My name is Ethan from CIBOLO TX USA . My SQM is 16.69.

Edited ...
NovaTJ 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I have seen it many times, but still need to know what SQM means!

Greg
bdm201170 1.20
· 
·  1 like
HI
SQM ...A sky quality meter (SQM)  is[b] [/b]an instrument used to measure the luminance of the night sky
with this  meter  you can measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond.
so that meaning you can know your BORTLE  in real time . following this table 

Sky-brightness-indicator-Bortle-Dark-Sky-Scale.png

sample  :  you go to some site and measure you reading  , 20.55 following the table you are around  BORTLE 5 real time
here is the link for more info and SQM reading meter ...http://www.unihedron.com/projects/darksky/

note :my backyard(Miami ,Fl)   reading is  sqm 16.84  as a show the image above
Edited ...
NovaTJ 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Brian!

Register or login to create to post a reply.