RCC M42 & NGC7789 Requests for constructive critique · rms1217 · ... · 2 · 56 · 2

rms1217 0.00
· 
I am fairly new to AP and my image train is:Zwo ASIair Pro
WO RedCat51
Atlas EQ-G GEM
Zwo ASI120MM S (Main)
Zwo ASI120MM Mini (Guide)
ZWO EFW
ZWO EAF 

Both images were taken from my driveway in Bortle 8 conditions.

M42 - Orion Nebula

L: 30 * 20 Seconds
R: 30 * 20 Seconds
G: 30 * 20 Seconds
B: 30 * 20 Seconds
BIN: 1
Gain: 28
Main: ZWO ASI120MM-S

NGC7789 - Caroline's Rose

L: 15 * 60 seconds 
R: 15 * 60 seconds
G: 15 * 60 seconds
B: 15 * 60 seconds
BIN: 1
Gain: 28
Main: ZWO ASI120MM-S

Preprocessed with Astro Pixel Processor. I use GIMP to convert from TIFF to jpg. 

Any advice is appreciated.
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

as a beginner AP I can't give much advice other than searching the objects in the AstroBin database, filtering for top pics and pictures of the day and then studying the differences between those images and your own achievments. Helps me a lot to learn to process data properly. To my eyes your images look great, so have fun on your AP journey.

Best regards
Wolfgang
stevendevet 6.77
· 
·  1 like
Honestly, can't really fault them. Especially given that they're taken with a 120MM.
Big improvements can probably be made with equipment more than your technique.

- a cooled camera to deal with noise for example.
- Or invest in an H-alpha filter, to make an HaRGB image, using the H-Alpha layer for more detail instead of luminance (Which is perhaps better against light pollution)

Since you are guiding, you could perhaps up the exposure time, but.. at the risk of blowing out the core.
Orion can be tricky like that. But you could try combinations of long and short exposures.
Short ones to keep detail in the core, longer ones for detail in the outer edges of the nebula, and blending those together.

Register or login to create to post a reply.