Planning process and planning software? Other · kuechlew · ... · 4 · 276 · 0

kuechlew 7.75
· 
Hi, 

I started with AP in September this year and I'm wondering how you plan your Imaging sessions. In first place, how do you decide on the objects you intend to image? As a beginner obviously I get a lot of inspiration by images published here at astrobin, in particular by contributors working with similar focal lengths than I own (or intend to buy in the future). 

Currently I try to aim at "easy" objects since I still struggle with the data aquisition process, so I don't want to deal with complicated objects to make my life worse. With "easy" I mean:
- not too faint
- sufficiently large to allow working with focal lengths below 400 mm
- Can be captured with a normal photo camera and without narrow band filters  - only filter I use so far are CLS filters
- resonably high altitude (> 30°)

A planning software would be handy where you can filter for magnitude, size and altitude (given a specific location and time) on the search process already. Any recommendation for this?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't intend to stick to these narrow criteria. Of course once I manage to control my processes I intend to broaden my choices - certainly to include narrow band imaging and fainter objects. 

Most software modules show quickly what is at the sky at a given day and time but narrowing down the objects to more specific criteria is often a tedius process of finding out more information on Wikipedia or other sites. Your experience and process to handle this topic is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Wolfgang
david.nozadze 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Hi!

I use two main tools: 
1. telescopius.com - an excellent free resource. It will give target suggestion for your specific location and then you can also filter them out by size, brightness, etc. Also you can input your scope and sensor specs to simulate framing. 
2. Stellarium (PC/Mac application) - this is also a free software. Once I select a target of interest, I will simulate its movement across the sky in Stellarium, to check if it is clearing the obstacles, which I have around my backyard. 

In general I try to shoot for the objects which are already at at least 35 degree altitude once the darkness falls, so I have maximum time to work on them. That's where Stelalrium is most helpful. It will give Alt/Az coordinates of any target at any time of any day. 

Hope this info is helpful. 

CS
Edited ...
Die_Launische_Diva 11.03
· 
·  1 like
Hello!

I use Stellarium for planning, framing and star-hopping (since I own a rudimentary star tracker). Note that I have some experience under the eyepiece  and on using paper star charts thus I know my way around the night sky. AstroBin is also a great tool for checking if my framing will work and for the integration time required, albeit I have to take into account the processing experience of the astrophotographer who has published an image of the object I'm interested in. But after all these years hanging around AstroBin, I have the privilege to meet some exceptional astrophotographers (not necessarily popular), and know who to trust.

CS and happy holidays!
Edited ...
BradleyWatson 7.33
· 
·  1 like
Hi Wolfgang,

I use a few tools.

- Astroplanner - parameters such as transit times, altitude, proximity to the moon etc can be set to identify targets that are relevant, even type of target. Will give optimum times for targeting specific objects. This software appears basic, even a little like a dressed up excel spreadsheet but when setup well, gives you good options.
- Cartes du ciel, overview of the area, useful for comparing to obstructions around primary object and general framing.
- Astrobin to see what the art of the possible is on a target with my current setup
- NINA for specific framing once object is identified
- Aladdin 
- rarely stellarium

Hope this helps
CS
Brad
Tuckie 4.42
· 
I usually keep a running list on Telescopius. It’s free, and you can keep your own personalized lists that show transit times, what’s up this time of year, you can check framing with your gear, etc…. It’s a really nice tool. You can also search based on object type (dark nebula, galaxy, bright nebula, clusters, etc…) and angular size and time above the horizon, to name just a few. Worth checking out. I usually keep my personal target list populated with ideas whenever I see them on astrobin or Instagram or wherever online.

Register or login to create to post a reply.