Filters for lunar imaging [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Stuart Taylor · ... · 5 · 337 · 2

StuartT 4.69
· 
·  2 likes
I have been imaging the moon with a ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro with no filters and wonder if there are any filters I could use to improve the image (such as contrast etc)?
Thanks

Moon - 14 Dec 2021
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
I have been imaging the moon with a ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro with no filters and wonder if there are any filters I could use to improve the image (such as contrast etc)?
Thanks

Moon - 14 Dec 2021

Hello Stuart,
I kinda posted this question a while back but it was for UV/IR Pass filters which will help you with steadier images.  If your interested here it the link to that post:  https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/solar-system/what-ir-pass-filter-do-you-use-685nm-or-742nm/
I ended up with the Astromik Pro-Planet UV/IR Pass 642nm. I do not regret it at all, excellent filter!

Your contrast is more controlled in post processing (at least for me) with your tweaking softwares, Gimp, PS, Startools etc.. but if you wanted to use a polarizing filter that would help or even a ND filter might help, however to me are a more visual with the exception of the polarizing filter.

Dale
Edited ...
Soupernova 2.11
· 
·  1 like
I visit Luna rarely so I just use my Ha (6nm astronomik) when I do, helps ease some atmospheric pains and also helps contrast I think.  Pretty happy with the outcomes usually.  There are more serious filters to use I believe but I will let the pros answer to those.

Re-read your post (still early here and waking up).  I use the 2600MM so your direction will be a bit different.  CS
Edited ...
Rafal_Szwejkowski 7.14
· 
·  2 likes
2600MC has a UV/IR cut window built-in so using a IR pass filter will not let through any signal.
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
2600MC has a UV/IR cut window built-in so using a IR pass filter will not let through any signal.

Was unaware of this! Thanks for the info!

Something else that I should have noted in my first post is most people (not all) will shoot the moon with an Mono camera so thats why the IR/pass filter was suggested. Occasionally I’ll shoot it with my main camera for full portrait shots and then convert to grayscale.

I use a 290mm for my Luna work and the Pro-Planet filter.
Edited ...
krags711 2.41
· 
For my only third time ever shooting photos  last night with a zwo asi482mc camera and ritchey chretein ioptron 6 I used an orion ir filter with and got a lot glare on the moon shots I took last from the ones I took last month of  the moon.  I don't know if the 482 camera i have has a built in ir filter or not but the pics were definitely better than other two nights.

Register or login to create to post a reply.