Hello from Staffordshire Introduce yourself! · BobCoPhoto · ... · 9 · 316 · 0

BobCoPhoto 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
Hi everyone. Been taking Astrophotography for about 7 months now, so it's about time I got on here and said hello. You can find me on the web, FB and Istagram as BobCoPhoto. Looking forward to finding new friends, improving my skillset over time and just getting out there under the stars. Clear skies all.
Starlady 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Welcome! I followed you on Insta -- great photos. Do you have any favorite websites you use for astrophotography? Carpe noctum!
BobCoPhoto 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Do you have any favorite websites you use

Hi, Thanks for the follow. To be honest I don't look at many websites other than for kit purchases. I get my inspiration from Instagram and broaden my knowledge on YouTube. There are some very talented people out there, but I learn more from their YouTube channels than I do from their individual websites. Maybe it's just the way I'm wired? I never could spend any time reading. Probably shouldn't say that to an author 😂
Mark_Hudson 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Welcome Bob, I used to live in North Staffordshire, now just over the boarder in Cheshire East.

Nice to know there's someone else in vicinity.

Mark
Starlady 0.00
· 
YouTube is definitely my go-to, also. A friend runs this YouTube channel out of Pittsburgh, where I live: Astro Escape (https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroEscape). Daylon Burt  frequently covers topics that I suggest (or anyone else). He's also the head of the Pittsburgh section of the International Dark Sky Association. Is there anything in particular you wish someone would devote a YouTube episode to?
BobCoPhoto 0.90
· 
Is there anything in particular you wish someone would devote a YouTube episode to?

Definately would like to see more information on editing alternatives to Photoshop / Lightroom. Too many things to pay out monthly on these days. I prefer to pay once and go. I use Affinity Photo for most of my stacking / editing. Finances are an issue for me as I don't work these days and have no personal income at the moment. Everything is done on a budget.
BobCoPhoto 0.90
· 
Mark Hudson:

Hi Mark, Is there any location south of you that you would recommend for dark skies? At the moment I tend to travel to the Shropshire Hills or head over to Elan Valley in Wales if it's going to be worth the travel distance.
WeAreAllStardust 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hi everyone. Been taking Astrophotography for about 7 months now, so it's about time I got on here and said hello. You can find me on the web, FB and Istagram as BobCoPhoto. Looking forward to finding new friends, improving my skillset over time and just getting out there under the stars. Clear skies all.

Hi Bob

If you are nearish to the se staffs area I recommend rosliston astronomy group, it has a very strong astrophotography special interest group that meets once a month.  Have a look at https://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/
Mark_Hudson 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Mark Hudson:

Hi Mark, Is there any location south of you that you would recommend for dark skies? At the moment I tend to travel to the Shropshire Hills or head over to Elan Valley in Wales if it's going to be worth the travel distance.

Hi Bob, I used to go out to the Shropshire Hills myself, but found it to be very occasional due to weather and work commitments.  Not to mention COVID restrictions.  So I started imaging from my backyard which although not ideal (light pollution, restricted view etc), but I now find that I get far more imaging time out of my kit and just work around the situation.  Plus with current fuel prices its much cheaper to do :-)
BobCoPhoto 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Mark Hudson:
So I started imaging from my backyard

We are definitely on the same page. I find imaging fro the back garden is so much easier, but like you the restricted view and light pollution take their toll. I have 4 trees to contend with and the house blocks all of the lower southern sky. Most times I'm forced to travel. Just how far I'm prepared to go depends on the conditions. My closest dark sky are of choice is the Elan Valley in Wales, but at 2-2.5 hours journey time, I have to really be in the mood!

Register or login to create to post a reply.