Which program do you use for controlling your astrophotography equipment? Other · Daniel Arenas · ... · 63 · 3162 · 1

This topic contains a poll.
Which program do you use in order to control your astrophotography equipment?
N.I.N.A (Ningttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy)
SGPro (Sequence Generator Pro)
Asiair / Asiair plus
Other (please specify which one)
None (I'm not using anything)
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  2 likes
Wow, I see almost no one uses Nebulosity, which is what I use. It was what I started with and now I'm used to it. It took me so long to get into computer control and stacking that I'm loath to try and learn something else (even though I own Pixinsight as well).

I’ve heard of Neblosity but really don’t really know it.

I think a lot of times when a person starts to learn a hobby, they find out what they like in a software and once they like it they stick with it because it comfortable/familiar to them. Then as they grow they add software that “plays well” with the other software that they use. I’m also with @Andy Wray if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!  At least thats what I’ve learned over the 30+ years of Astronomy/imaging.

In my case I really got comfortable with SharpCap Pro and really like how it works, especially how it has the live stacking feature. Then as I learned more or wanted to do more I had to add software to do what I wanted to do.

Then as you work with different software you find out that some software just don’t play well together and you then either have to change something or stay with what is working and find an alternative to do what you want to do that works with the other software you are using.

Dale
Edited ...
Markus_Blauensteiner 3.01
· 
·  2 likes
Hello Daniel!

I use Voyager and control the entire observatory with it. From cooling the building in the afternoon to uploading the data the next morning.

Markus
Andys_Astropix 10.26
· 
·  3 likes
Another happy Voyager user here 
Have previously used Nebulosity/Sky Safari on mac OS, but wanted autofocus so tried KStars/Stellarmate/Ekos on a pi for a year or so. Worked ok but crashed a lot, and the focus routine on my APS-H camera took 10mins!
Briefly tried SGP & hated it, so Eventually went down the Voyager/NUC/Windows path, and it all just works, every time! 
... my images have never looked so good!
Seventi7
· 
·  1 like
Other: Indi Ekos on a ubuntu Nuc.

It is open source so you can tinker., although for stability always use major release.

The autoguiding is on par with PHD2.
Autofocus and filter control is spot on.
(Bin and crop makes it quick)
Plate solving and Polar alignment works perfectly.

Autoscheduler can be a bit confusing at times, but the community is always improving it.

I come from APT, which is really good, but Indi is next level.
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
· 
·  3 likes
I've been using Voyager for quite some time now. Automation was key for me since my scope is 3 time zones away from me, as was reliability. With Voyager I have automated my entire process. I literally don't have to touch my scope at all. It automatically starts up, selects the most appropriate target based on criteria I have defined, shoots all night long, changing targets when necessary, and shuts down at the end of the night and waits for the next cloud free night to start up again. I simply have to log in each morning to review and collect the images that were shot. 

Voyager can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like it to be. I find it to be extremely capable and reliable. Easily worth the price, which is extremely reasonable in my opinion.

Best.
Tim
GernotSchreider 4.72
· 
·  1 like
- Stellarium for Mount control - I'm not using SharpCap's sequencer for automation so I manually select the target in Stellarium
- SharpCap Pro for polar alignment, autofocus, framing - I like the new click to center feature and image acquisition
- PHD2 for guiding - I know SharpCap can manage PHD2, but I have not used that feature so far, I am too much struggling with guiding though
- ASTAP for plate solving - through SharpCap Pro
- ASCOM POTH for coordinating mount access by multiple programs and focuser access - and various drivers

So I guess the main spider in the web is SharpCap Pro pulling the strings.

CS
Gernot
ODRedwine 1.51
· 
·  3 likes
APT for imaging.
CPWI  for pointing.
PHD for guidance.
All linked using ASCOM drivers.

I don't use plate-solving.  A good mount model in CPWI gives about 2 arc minute pointing accuracy with my CGX-L mount.

CS
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
Astrophotography Tool aka; APT. Does everything (with PHD2).  The ASIAIR pro for ZWO cameras, focusers and filter wheels.
Pixinsight for processing.
Edited ...
ManuelCP 1.81
· 
·  1 like
I checked « other », as I use Astrophotography Tool that « talks » to CPWI for my CGX-L mount and focuser, PHD2, ASTAP and of course the main imaging camera. I have been rather happy with APT and had no issues with session craft or goto++/plate solving. Of course via ASCOM.
My only disappointment is with the (auto-)focusing aids of APT, which I seem unable to use properly… so I focus using CPWI and a mask prior to launching an imaging plan. 
CS
Manuel
Edited ...
andymw 11.01
· 
·  1 like
Manuel Peitsch:
My only disappointment is with the (auto-)focusing aids of APT, which I seem unable to use properly

What problems are you having with the auto-focusing and what autofocusser do you have?  I'm using the ZWO EAF 5V and it works really well with APT;  I'm re-focusing on every filter change automatically (usually once every hour or so) and it works flawlessly.  FWIW:  I'm using Auto-focus Aid in HFD mode.
romonaga 4.82
· 
·  2 likes
Loaded question for me.

I use NINA to plate-solve and center target, I found it works the best.

However, I do not like how it images, it could be because I simply did not spend time with it, so for the imaging side I use SharpCap.  It has many features I like including the ability to plate solve and recenter, it will also list other objects near, I use that often to find something different to image.

Truth be told the glue that holds it together for me is SharpCap.

I think things will change once I get my ASAIR
Edited ...
rhedden 9.48
· 
·  1 like
I use TheSkyX to control the mount and N.I.N.A. to control everything else.
JSwiglo 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Other:  APT ( Astro Photography Tool)
ManuelCP 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Andy Wray:
Manuel Peitsch:
My only disappointment is with the (auto-)focusing aids of APT, which I seem unable to use properly

What problems are you having with the auto-focusing and what autofocusser do you have?  I'm using the ZWO EAF 5V and it works really well with APT;  I'm re-focusing on every filter change automatically (usually once every hour or so) and it works flawlessly.  FWIW:  I'm using Auto-focus Aid in HFD mode.

Hi Andy,

I am using a celestron focusing motor on my C9.25+hyperstar (FL=520; f/2.2). I can drive it from APT, but when I use the aids, they jump around and I cannot seem to get the auto-focus to find a focus point, even when I start from a close position. I have not yet figured out why and what I am doing wrong. Maybe you have some hints (in addition to what you wrote above, which I never tried).
Cheers
Manuel

Register or login to create to post a reply.