Do you take calibration subs for every session? [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · schmaks · ... · 33 · 1354 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
Do you take calibration subs for every session?
Yes, of course!
Nope.
paolostivanin 0.00
· 
Yes, of course, for flats. Bias I redo them every few months, just for fun. No darks for my imx571.
Readerp 1.20
· 
I have a portable setup, but I keep the camera and imaging train bolted together.
I usually shoot new flats every session,
bit at times I skip flats for 2-3 sessions if the camera angles are the same etc., especially if I am pressed for time in the morning.
But after about 2-3 sessions, I usually have to rotate the camera angle, or use a different filter, so I take  a new set of flats.
Darks and bias I shoot for the exposure times, temps, gain etc, I usually stick to just a few combinations, so I reshoot the darks/bias a couple of times a year, 
just for good measure.
Edited ...
AmpedAstro 0.90
· 
Darks every 6 months because I'm lazy.

New set of flats whenever I change targets or rotate camera.
StuartT 4.69
· 
Robert Winslow:
I might be a bit more crazy, but I take my flats / Flat Darks after each image I complete.  As my exposure times are not that great it is not as big of a problem as I thought it would be.  It comforts me to know that each image has its own flats.

The only area where I do have it easy is with Darks and Bias frames, as I have a cooled camera, and I only use a handful of settings, it is easy to create a library, and refresh it every so often.

sorry, but in what sense is that crazy? There is no alternative to taking flats every session. Because the focus, camera rotation, dust bunnies etc are never the same between sessions. You can use libraries for darks and biases, but you can't do that for flats. They have to be done each time
Edited ...
andymw 11.01
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
sorry, but in what sense is that crazy? There is no alternative to taking flats every session. Because the focus, camera rotation, dust bunnies etc are never the same between sessions. You can use libraries for darks and biases, but you can't do that for flats. They have to be done each time

It all depends what you mean by "every session".  For me, a session tends to be over a few consecutive days where the skies are clear and where you are not going to change the target or the camera rotation etc.. In these cases, I would only take one set of flats on one night as nothing in the imaging train is changing.  This also assumes you are using a cooled camera where you can keep the sensor temperature at the same temp..

Remove or move anything in that imaging train and you need to take new flats.
StuartT 4.69
· 
Andy Wray:
Stuart Taylor:

It all depends what you mean by "every session".  For me, a session tends to be over a few consecutive days where the skies are clear and where you are not going to change the target or the camera rotation etc.. In these cases, I would only take one set of flats on one night as nothing in the imaging train is changing.  This also assumes you are using a cooled camera where you can keep the sensor temperature at the same temp..

Right. Good point. Agreed. I think the reason I said that is that I take my camera off the scope every night, because the scope lives outside 24/7 and I don't want to risk the camera getting wet. Therefore, I need to take flats after every night. But it sounds like you have your own observatory, where you can just leave everything as it is. I envy you!
andymw 11.01
· 
·  1 like
Stuart Taylor:
Andy Wray:
Stuart Taylor:

Right. Good point. Agreed. I think the reason I said that is that I take my camera off the scope every night, because the scope lives outside 24/7 and I don't want to risk the camera getting wet. Therefore, I need to take flats after every night. But it sounds like you have your own observatory, where you can just leave everything as it is. I envy you!

I wish!  That is my dream.   But there are days when I check the weather and take the risk by covering the kit in plastic bags OR I bring all the kit in without removing the camera.  Let's both agree to dream of a dedicated observatory.  At least all this hulking of the kit in and out is keeping me fit in my 60's.
Doc248 0.00
· 
Like others, I do darks every few months. A less obvious advantage of an observatory is that you can take these on cloudy nights. Once I'm set up for a project I take flats and dark flats but, as long as I don't touch the optical train, I'll use them for the whole project. This is easier with refractors; checking the collimating reflectors, of course, means taking new flats and dark flats. Again, the observatory makes this simpler; wile it's not absolutely black inside, with short exposures there is no significant problem taking flats and, by taking the dark flats directly after the flats, any problems from light leaks is compensated.
StuartT 4.69
· 
Andy Wray:
Stuart Taylor:
Andy Wray:
Stuart Taylor:

I wish!  That is my dream.   But there are days when I check the weather and take the risk by covering the kit in plastic bags OR I bring all the kit in without removing the camera.  Let's both agree to dream of a dedicated observatory.  At least all this hulking of the kit in and out is keeping me fit in my 60's.

In that case, let me recommend a Telegizmos 365 cover. I leave my mount and scope set up in all weather under one of those. It's the next best thing to having your own observatory. It means the whole rig stays in polar alignment. All I have to do each session is give it a quick check with the 3 point PA plugin for NINA and give it a slight tweak. But it's never out by more than a few arc mins.

But I guess that only works if you have a completely secure area. I have £10k plus of rig out there, but my back garden is inaccessible so I don't have to worry about security.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.