How/where can you find the gas composition of nebulae before shooting? Other · dreamsandmonsters · ... · 4 · 308 · 0

dreamsandmonsters 0.00
· 
Hello,

I'd like to spent the new moon nights on targets with a "good" amount of oxygen, to shoot with an Oiii filter. I want to shoot just enough pictures in a few nights, to be able to edit with acceptable noise and without having to stretch my data insanely, so I'm looking for targets with a decent amount of oxygen already.

Does anyone know if there is any tool that shows the gas composition of nebulae?  Whether it is a type of measurement or percentage wise.

Or something like SkyView from NASA, but allowing you to choose only the data of a specific filter?

Thank you!

L
andreatax 7.42
· 
I can't really be totally sure but there isn't such a thing. Magnitudes are measured on stellar flux so not much chances there. Sometimes there are papers with spectrographs of nebulae but they are mostly relative to PNs. It is worth checking out that if you know your target beforehand.
Edited ...
dreamsandmonsters 0.00
· 
andrea tasselli:
I can't really be totally sure but there isn't such a thing. Magnitudes are measured on stellar flux so not much chances there. Sometimes there are papers with spectrographs of nebulae but they are mostly relative to PNs. It is worth checking out that if you know your target beforehand.

Alright, thank you for your input! I've seen some online posts that describes the nebulae/filters used, but that's not especially fast to dig through text. I guess it will have to do for now.
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
If you are shooting one of the 313 Sh2 (Sharpless2) objects check out the Sharpless2 Group here... you can sort by number and will see how different people succeeded with different filters.  Same thing for the 86 Abell PNs. 

When I was completing these series I did not want to waste a frame so I researched at lot and never got good answers... especially on the Abells.  They are so dull you can really waste a lot of time.

These two series cover 400 of the most common narrow-band targets. 

If you put up your own, please make sure to enter the index number so other can find your effort easily.
astrola72 0.00
· 
I just tried this.  If you're really just looking specifically for some good targets for your OIII filter, do a search using "OIII" in the "Search terms" box (not the "subject" box) - sort by publication rather than "relevance". You'll get a lot of narrow band images which reference "OIII" filters.

Joe

Register or login to create to post a reply.