Large Newt Owners Help! LONG POST! [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Dale Penkala · ... · 53 · 1630 · 13

DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
andrea tasselli:
Dale Penkala:
Hello Andrea,
I’m just calling it the airy disk for lack of a better word to use. When you get the settings finally tweaked in there is a bright spot that appears and represents “something” which I can only assume the airy disk. It may not be but that bright “dot/spot” is what you use to make this red dot that floats around to become centered on that pattern. Maybe I should use pattern instead of airy disk. At any rate that airy disk/pattern is what is used to make the red dot centered to it.

Dale

Hi Dale,

Got it. If I may ask, was all this collimation procedure performed with the full kit in place, CC, off-axis guider and so on?

Hello Andrea,

Yes exactly. Optics were collimated with the whole optical/photographic system in place.

Dale
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  1 like
andrea tasselli:
Dale Penkala:
Hello all,

... HOLY _ _ _ _ I have round stars. ...

MOLY ?

Congratulations but reading such threads just make me even more afraid of Newtonians. Is it just the size and focal ratio or are all Newts such a hassle?

Clear skies
Wolfgang

It can get much worse than that, rest assured.

This is not helpful to cure my Newt-phobia ...
andreatax 7.42
· 
·  1 like

If you're not prepared to take down and dismantle a scope to its elemental components then a newton isn't for you. Plenty of other choices though...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
andrea tasselli:
Dale Penkala:
Hello all,

... HOLY _ _ _ _ I have round stars. ...

MOLY ?

Congratulations but reading such threads just make me even more afraid of Newtonians. Is it just the size and focal ratio or are all Newts such a hassle?

Clear skies
Wolfgang

It can get much worse than that, rest assured.

Hello Wolfgang,

Certainly not trying to stop you from considering this but @andrea tasselli is correct in both cases. If your not willing to do that then stay away from it. I’ve been working with this type of scope for 30+ years back when my dad ground his primary mirror from a mirror grinding kit from Edmund Scientific in 1968 not to mention when I had DBA Astronomy products I pulled all the optics out and started from scratch  by sending the primary’s out to 1 of my 3 mirror makers that worked with me machining my own secondary mirror holders and mounting the secondary mirror to the holders with a safety string and installing dew heaters under the secondary mirror that fit inside the holder.

As Andrea said there are plenty other optical designs that one can use.

Dale

Register or login to create to post a reply.