Remote connection. [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Fabio Guerceri · ... · 16 · 551 · 1

FabioGuerceri 0.90
· 
My new challenge is to connect the cameras and the mount with my PC without cable and without using ASIAIR.
The distance is short, the telescope is in by backyard and me are inside my home, a few meters.
The ports used are only two USB but I don't know how this can be done.

Some ideas?
Thanks
kuechlew 7.75
· 
Hi Fabio, can you please describe your setup a bit? What mount, what camera, are you using a focuser / filter wheel / rotator / power box, etc. 

These details may help us to support you.

Clear skies
Wolfgang
FabioGuerceri 0.90
· 
Hi kuechlew

My setup is composed:
- Mount SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro connected via RS232/USB through Synscan hand controller. This is the first USB connection on the PC
- Camera ASI294MC Pro . This is the second connection on the PC
- Camera AS290MM connected to ASI294MC

Thanks in advance
StuartT 4.69
· 
I am in a similar situation.  My scope is outside permanently set up and about 6m from my study. So I just run a USB cable out to the rig from my laptop in the study. The laptop connects to a Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox and everything else is plugged into that (cameras, focuser, heaters). Works great
CCDMike 5.02
· 
Hi Fabio,

do you want to have your PC/Laptop inside or do you want to leave it outside?
I am in a similar situation as you and leave my laptop outside (with the whole setup connected).
I use anydesk to connect a tablet with the laptop for checking the images or do minor changes within the session. No problems with that, yet.

Maybe this is a possible solution for you.

Best
Mike
Edited ...
FabioGuerceri 0.90
· 
I would bring my laptop inside my home and connecting the USB devices through wifi to my PC. I don't know if exist a device to realize this solution.
The last possibility is use ASIAIR
ThatGuyXx 0.00
· 
I've used a little micro PC as a mount PC for a couple years now and it's been perfect for handling this.

There are many options to do the same thing here but I honestly love logging into a windows 10 desktop specifically used for my mount, NINA, phd, sharpcap, etc. I even stack all of my frames right on this thing before transferring a single frame to my main PC for post processing (saves a lot of transfer time).

It's very low power and connects directly through my home network wifi so I sit inside and control my scope from my main PC. Can't recommend enough.

This one is called a ThinkCenter M90n-1 but I'm fairly sure these were discontinued.

image.png
Edited ...
kuechlew 7.75
· 
You will need a device for connecting your cameras, either the ASIAIR, a Raspberry PI,  a mini PC or your Laptop on the outside. This device can then be connected to a Wifi for data transfer and/or remote control.

Clear skies
Wolfgang
CCDMike 5.02
· 
Fabio Guerceri:
I would bring my laptop inside my home and connecting the USB devices through wifi to my PC. I don't know if exist a device to realize this solution.
The last possibility is use ASIAIR

You need a hardware solution for this as a substitute for your laptop. Most AP's use Raspberry, Pegasus or others to achive this.
romonaga 4.82
· 
I would suggest a mini-pc.  I know this is not exactly what you want, but I do not know of any device that will transmit USB of WIFI, and if souch a device does exists, I would imagine there will be hardware involved.  A Raspberry-Pi running AstroBerry would work as well.

I use a mini-PC attached to the rig, and I access the mini-pc with realvnc from any machine, phone, tablet I desire.  It even allows me access to the machine from outside my local network.
Edited ...
kuechlew 7.75
· 
For a recent discussion on suitable mini pcs you may look here: Mini PC / Mini PC Stick Recommendation? - AstroBin

Clear skies
Wolfgang
T3kko 0.00
· 
I would also highly recommend adding a mini PC. Having the PC mounted and cable managed onto the OTA has simplified my setup and greatly improved my imaging workflow.
andymw 11.01
· 
You said you need to connect to your scope "without a cable" and without ASIAir.

To me that means you need to make sure you have decent wifi outside (I used a powerline wifi adapter plugged in to a power socket in my garage).  You may find that your current wifi works fine anyway without adding anything.

AND

you will need a miniPC at the telescope end of things (I bought a Mele Quieter 3).

This solution is much cheaper than trying to find USB over wifi adapters etc..  You just remote desktop into the miniPC to control the session.
Edited ...
FabioGuerceri 0.90
· 
Ok, thanks to all, i will consider the mini Pc solution .
Thanks a lot
BobGillette 6.26
· 
·  1 like
Why not use an Ethernet cable? My obs is about 10 meters from my cabin out in a field, where mount, camera, focuser, guider are controlled by my computer. I connect them with. 4-port Icron Ranger USB Hun in the obs, which connects to the cabin via an Ethernet cable to an Icron unit in the cabin, which connects via USB to the computer.

I find this faster and more reliable than a direct USB connection to the obs.  I run the Ethernet cable a few inches underground through  PVC conduit.

CS, Bob
velociraptor1 2.71
· 
You can use mini PC or Laptop kept near setup outside, connect it to powerful wifi router whose signal you can receive inside your room. Then use windows Remote desktop application to connect to that laptop or mini PC and access it as normal from your laptop or desktop inside your room.

I personally use laptop kept near mount setup on terrace, from there I put a 25 feet LAN cable down to my bedroom 2 floors below the terrace.
I connect it using LAN port in router with my desktop in kept in bedroom. This way I can check & control my laptop kept on terrace from my bedroom without need to go up frequently.

LAN cable allows full speed connection without interruptions or lags. Wifi will work better for short distance only, for long distance wifi will also lag.
EdDixonImages 3.10
· 
I use a miniPC at scope for all control and capture.  A $40 Wifi hotspot then handles communication with an inside PC.  Remote Desktop is used for connection which is quite fast.  This same config works at home and at remote sites.

Register or login to create to post a reply.