What single thing has made the biggest difference to your astrophotographs? [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Andy Wray · ... · 115 · 6968 · 2

hbastro
· 
·  1 like
digital technology, cameras and software like Pixinsight
Edited ...
normmalin 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Number one would be going from DSLR (Modified T7i) to a dedicated astro camera (ASI533MC Pro).

After that, I would say getting an EAF -- with the EAF, I can channel my inner Ron Popeil (did I just age myself?)  and "set it and forget it".  The extra time on target makes a huge difference.
Edski 2.81
· 
·  1 like
Asiair
minyita 1.81
· 
Besides improving processing and the darkest skies possible, there are a handful things that definitely improved pictures:

- going to a cooled Color CMOS coming from an unmodded 600D
- Getting not only a flattener but flattener & reducer, imaging at f/7 sucks tbh
- Going OAG (findershoe guidescope before, just nope) & remeshing the gears on my mount - going from average RMS in RA over 1.2“ and practically unguidable in DEC due to Backlash to getting total RMS values between 0.4“ and 0.8“ depending on seeing (so 5 min exposures are possible now, probably even longer)
- Getting a ZWO EAF - this is just huge and probably had the biggest impact on image quality as I never refocused over the night

so yeah money sadly, and smarter buying decisions (that 1.0x flattener was a waste tbh - OAG would have been the same cost as my guidescope solution but performed A LOT better even before remeshing the gears)
Edited ...
deazwe 1.20
· 
Jan Porter:
Celestron OAG on my 9.25...gamechanger.

Jan

Amen to that one!
deazwe 1.20
· 
Scott Badger:
A better mount.

Celestron CGEM to an Ioptron CEM70. The Celestron is a good observing mount, but due to the backlash in particular, not so much for AP. Ironically, it worked pretty well without guiding where the BL wasn't a factor.... The Ioptron CEM70 is probably best in class and one of the first of a new wave (hopefully) of mounts designed with AP in mind; onboard power and USB ports, minicomputer dock etc.

Cheers,
Scott

I moved from LX200 with SBIG ST-8XME to LX200 OTA + Software Bisque MyT + ZWO ASI1600 Pro Cool with off axis guiding ZWO ASI174MM guiding camera and it has been the best $7000 I have ever spent in my life from an astrophotography point of view.  Actually, I wish I had done it sooner but the equipment and money weren't there yet.
Edited ...
deazwe 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Dave B:
Peter Robertson:
David Moore:
Apart from some of what's been stated already. Controlling my laptop outside from my workstation upstairs. It has made the whole experience more enjoyable and I am much more willing to image through the night checking progress in the study instead of going outside.

*** Do people do this with wireless or cables? Is any specific hardware and software needed? Thanks  ***

I've done both. At my previous home, I used WiFi to talk to my miniPC in the observatory, but at my current home I have it hardwired. As long as it's within WiFi range, you should be fine. My observatory was probably 40-50 feet from my home router, with only one exterior house wall and the wall of the observatory in between. If you're router is in the front of your house and your setup is in your backyard, you might run into issues.

As a rule, wired is better, but it may not be necessary. See how much WiFi signal you get with your phone at the location where your setup is or would be. If you're only getting one or two bars out of four, you should consider running data cables. If you're getting 4 out of 4 bars, you should be fine with WiFi.

All that you need is a laptop or a miniPC that has WiFi running next to the scope, and a remote desktop program (RDP if using Windows Pro, or something like tightVNC or TeamViewer running on the laptop/miniPC otherwise). If you get a miniPC, get one with external WiFi antennae.

Chrome Remote Desktop works very well also.
gdamore 0.00
· 
I think I had a few - in the order they have occurred:

1. Getting a narrow band filter (ZWO Duo) and astronomy camera (ASI533MC Pro, was a Canon 450D before that)
2. AsiAirPlus - I could not get guiding or plate solving to work without this, and PA went from a struggle to dead easy.  This thing really is just the Easy Button.
3. Off-Axis Guider and automatic focuser (EAF) - notably sharper images on my C8 XLT.

Of course I'm still pretty much a newbie, but those upgrades in the last six months -- especially the ASI Air Plus -- have been huge.

If I could go back and do it over again, I'd probably have not gone with the CGEM-II/C8 setup initially, because I started on the hard road.  But it's finally starting to come together for me.  (Looking at getting an AT 72EDII because I am hungering for some wider FOVs than my C8 can give.)
4594man 0.00
· 
The many excellent software tools for processing my images.
GWLopez 19.68
· 
·  2 likes
AstroBin
Darknyt 0.00
· 
Erlend Langsrud:
The biggest single step was to modify my dslr.

Or more generally speeking: use cameras which are sensitive to Ha.

Sadly that was my worst step. First DSLR and reputable shop pawned it off to newbie staff that left sensor horribly tilted. I was too new and dumb to notice for months and they’ve never been able to fix. Shot neowise and other unrepeatable images like that. Sucked too as I could never trust if a given lens was bad or just my sensor. 

Moved on to mirrorless and cooled cam. 

But agree getting an Astrocam was huge step.
Edited ...
_astronumb 0.90
· 
For me it was the following:
1- a dedicated astro camera 
2- Nina for polar alignment & plate solving
3- Pixinsight
spacekitteh 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Something else I forgot to mention - understanding the physics and mathematics of what happens from when the light is emitted to when it appears on screen. Pretty much every single subject I did in my engineering degree has been useful
davidRosenthal 5.49
· 
·  4 likes
A good mount.   Nothing else will have such a large impact than a good mount.  You can have the best optics, cameras, filters and software you can get.  It will never really work well unless you have a good mount.
SchwarzBlack 0.90
· 
·  1 like
ASI AIR PLUS
Deep_Sky 12.40
· 
Well, I dont have any,  but for me, dark sky is the number 1 priority. All other things, if you have a nice load of money, you will do with your push-a-button-and-goto-sleep  mount/telescope... and it will diminish a lot your worries about postprocessing...some of my thoughts below...:

* Coma corrector sorted out star shape:
Yes amazing! You made the right choice! - nice coma correctors are used to be expensive...but if you have some RCs or ACFs scopes instead, it will be great as well, dont worry about ccs anymore! 

* Guiding camera both helped with star shape and let me take much longer exposures
 with OAG improve a lot ... well ... you already bought one! Nice!

* ASCOM and APT/Stellarium made it a doddle to select targets and control all my equipment from one location 
controls everything ... amazing! Thats it! 

* SharpCap for polar alignment -  nice polar aligment its very important also...
its really important... PHD2 will do the job as well! 

* PixInsight ... need I say more - its amazing, but if you have a nice load of money and a really dark sky, only with the basics of PI/PS you will get a Top Pick or even a IOTD!

* Moving to a mono camera with filter wheel and getting into narrowband meant a lot more interesting targets
If you have a dark sky site with these new amazing color cameras ... it will be a very nice option to think about as well...I just dont know...but if you have a push-a-button-and-goto-sleep mount and a dark sky, this wont be make no difference at all...

* Doing the belt drive upgrade on the mount tightened it all up...
Yes, another nice improvement...and nowadays thats the rule...MORE MONEY ... BEST MOUNTS....ITS MANDATORY...DARK SKIES WITH A PUSH-A-BUTTON-MOUNT...

* Adding an autofocuser
so I think its some least thing to worry about...but if you have money, you will integrate the autofocuser with your software...with a good mount...push-a-button-and-goto-sleep...

* Using an OAG with helical focuser rather than a separate guide scope halved my guiding errors 
its amazing! OAG improved my tracking a lot!

Cheers my friend!
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.