Hemisphere:  Northern  ·  Constellation: Aries (Ari)  ·  Contains:  B203  ·  LBN 740  ·  LDN 1448  ·  VdB13
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
vdB 13 (LRGB), 



    
        

            Linda
Powered byPixInsight
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
vdB 13 (LRGB), 



    
        

            Linda
Powered byPixInsight

Acquisition details

Dates:
Dec. 3, 2021 ·  Dec. 4, 2021 ·  Dec. 5, 2021 ·  Dec. 6, 2021 ·  Dec. 7, 2021 ·  Dec. 8, 2021
Frames:
Astrodon Gen2 I-Series Tru-Balance Blue: 33×600(5h 30′) -25°C bin 2×2
Astrodon Gen2 I-Series Tru-Balance Green: 37×600(6h 10′) -25°C bin 2×2
Astrodon Gen2 I-Series Tru-Balance Lum: 56×900(14h) -25°C bin 1×1
Astrodon Gen2 I-Series Tru-Balance Red: 34×600(5h 40′) -25°C bin 2×2
Integration:
31h 20′
Avg. Moon age:
6.85 days
Avg. Moon phase:
8.01%

RA center: 03h25m50s.612

DEC center: +30°5606.93

Pixel scale: 0.727 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: -88.120 degrees (flipped)

Field radius: 0.540 degrees

WCS transformation: thin plate spline

More info:Open 

Resolution: 4008x3538

File size: 1.5 MB

Data source: Own remote observatory

Remote source: Sierra Remote Observatories

Description

There's a lot going in vdB 9. You've got reflection nebula mixed in with a molecular cloud and it makes for fascinating viewing. 

Here's how I processed it:

L:
dynamic crop
deconvolution
histogram transformation
TGV denoise

RGB
channel combination
dynamic crop
background neutralization
color calibration
histogram transformation
TGV denoise (chrominance)
channel combination (adding in L)
starXterminator (generating stars)
LHE
dark structure enhance script
MLT sharpening (very mild)
pixel math stars in
ez star reduction script

I wish we had gathered more lum data. I thought we had enough when I started to process it but would not have minded more. Not that I'm unhappy with this result but there was a limit to how far I felt I could push the noise reduction. I also didn't use PCC because it failed on the photometry half. Strangely it would succeed if I ran SCNR on the linear data first but that seemed fairly destructive. As it turned out the BN/CC combo produced a very similar looking result so I went with that but I do wonder why PCC wouldn't work on this data. One of those mysteries of PixInsight...

Comments