asi2600mm Duo (any practical experience?) ZWO ASI2600MM DUO · Nick Grundy · ... · 6 · 277 · 0

Supro 3.81
· 
Hi All, I was looking at this and though I love the idea of ditching my guidescope on my epsilon160, I'm trying to fathom how significant a change this would be. (since I already use an asi2600mm)

I've noted that wider narrowband filters would also be required (something in the 6-8+ nm bandpass). I'm also thinking that my image sequence might need to evolve. I usually do a sequence of 3-6 exposures with each filter cycling through. That doesn't require stopping/starting guiding, but with a camera like this behind the filter, maybe it would? 

Looking for any practical knowledge of using these DUO's. 

thanks and CS
Nick
Bill_Becher 0.00
· 
I had difficulty tracking through RGB Optilong filters with the ASI2600 Duo Mono on a Celestron EdgeHD 11" and OAG.

I suspect that this would work best with a color camera at shorter focal lengths.
Supro 3.81
· 
Bill Becher:
and OAG.

thanks Bill, was the OAG unused but still in the optical train? 

assuming you were at the native F10, I could imagine that being difficult. I'm planning on 530mm FL, so hopefully that would be a sufficient amount of stars?
Bill_Becher 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Nick Grundy:
Bill Becher:
and OAG.

"thanks Bill, was the OAG unused but still in the optical train? "

Oops no OGA, just a filter wheel.  I was using a .7 reducer so was at F7.7 Focal length was 1,975 mm.
Edited ...
Supro 3.81
· 
I'm guessing there's a decent lumination fall off at the edge of the image cirlce under a filter (they cite a 42mm circle) combined with the focal length makes it very tough on guide star selection

In contrast, does the OAG perform well for you? (seems like it does most with the edge11)
Bill_Becher 0.00
· 
Nick I have had better results with an OAG on the edge11.  I tried the Celestron OAG but the ZWO OAG L works better probably because it comes later in the optical train and gets more stars.

I am using the ZWO 174 guide cam as it has a larger sensor. Getting the backfocus right with the edge is the problem I ordered a custom adapter so that I can use the Askar backfocus adjuster to fine tune the backfocus.

I sold the Duo
WhooptieDo 9.82
· 
I think it's fair to say the 'Duo' cameras were designed with one user in mind....   The RASA user. 

Beyond that, I can't comprehend why you'd ever want one.  It's not the greatest idea.

Register or login to create to post a reply.