Temperature, Fan, Heater Pinouts Planewave CDK14 · Kyle Goodwin · ... · 7 · 180 · 0

KGoodwin 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Does anyone have the pinouts for the various temperature probe, fan, and heater connections on the scope?  I'd like to build a heating/cooling control box for the scope with a humidity sensor that will do a better job than the (very expensive) EFA + Delta-T combination, but I don't have the scope yet to test the pinouts myself.
ashastry 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hi Kyle,

If you haven’t received your scope yet, have you considered asking PlaneWave to wire your CDK for the Series 5 controller? That box does what the combination of the EFA + Delta T does, at half the price.

Ani
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  1 like
Ani Shastry:
Hi Kyle,

If you haven’t received your scope yet, have you considered asking PlaneWave to wire your CDK for the Series 5 controller? That box does what the combination of the EFA + Delta T does, at half the price.

Ani

AFIK, the series 5 controller has no Hr sensor. Moreover it is only compatible to series 5 focuser (5x the price of Hedrick), which is totally overpriced, and not compatible to the Hedrick focuser. Last but not least it runs at 24V and not 12V, which is a serious drawback. IMHO, Series 5 gadgets are only reasonable for Delta Rhos. It is the continuation of a faulty concept in my point of view.
Edited ...
KGoodwin 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Ani Shastry:
Hi Kyle,

Ani

I'd much prefer a $40 box I can easily build myself, with 12v power, a reliable circuit board with good power management not prone to shorting, light weight, and a humidity sensor, which the Series 5 seems to still lack so far as I can tell.
blackrig 4.52
· 
I have a PW CDK 14 and was also considering replacing the overpriced ($750), closed source and failure prone Delta-T with a $25 Arduino that I can program myself. At this point I am controlling the fans and heaters with a Pegasus PB V3, but I am missing the access to the scope internal temperature sensors, so I cannot have a closed loop control.  The temperature sensors are connected to an RJ12 connector. 

If somebody knows the type of temperature sensors used in the CDK14, I am happy to look at the spec sheets and try to reverse engineer the RJ12 pin out.
KGoodwin 0.00
· 
The temperature sensors are connected to an RJ12 connector. 

If somebody knows the type of temperature sensors used in the CDK14, I am happy to look at the spec sheets and try to reverse engineer the RJ12 pin out.

The temperature sensors are DS18B20. That would be awesome if you could figure out the pin outs!
ashastry 1.20
· 
Ruediger:
Ani Shastry:
Hi Kyle,

Ani

AFIK, the series 5 controller has no Hr sensor. Moreover it is only compatible to series 5 focuser (5x the price of Hedrick), which is totally overpriced, and not compatible to the Hedrick focuser. Last but not least it runs at 24V and not 12V, which is a serious drawback. IMHO, Series 5 gadgets are only reasonable for Delta Rhos. It is the continuation of a faulty concept in my point of view.

You don't really need to pair the series 5 controller mandatorily with a series 5 focuser (IMO, the Hedrick focuser is kinda junk anyway). Most people use either an Optec Gemini or a Moonlite Nitecrawler WR35 from what I gather. I had the option to wire mine with the series 5 controller (only) completely orthogonally to my Optec Gemini, but I didn't go with that option due to logistical challenges.

Ani
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  1 like
Ani Shastry:
Ruediger:
Ani Shastry:
Hi Kyle,

Ani

You don't really need to pair the series 5 controller mandatorily with a series 5 focuser (IMO, the Hedrick focuser is kinda junk anyway). Most people use either an Optec Gemini or a Moonlite Nitecrawler WR35 from what I gather. I had the option to wire mine with the series 5 controller (only) completely orthogonally to my Optec Gemini, but I didn't go with that option due to logistical challenges.

Ani

Same did I. Kicked out the Hedrick and got a Gemini.

Register or login to create to post a reply.