Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...

Heckathorn-Fesen-Gull 1 (HFG1 / PK 136+05) and Abell 6

Technical card

Resolution: 4237x3120

Dates:Sept. 28, 2017Sept. 29, 2017Oct. 1, 2017Oct. 2, 2017Oct. 3, 2017Oct. 4, 2017Oct. 21, 2017Oct. 22, 2017Oct. 23, 2017Oct. 25, 2017Oct. 27, 2017Oct. 28, 2017Oct. 31, 2017

Frames:
ZWO H-alpha 7nm: 25x300" (gain: 150.00)
ZWO H-alpha 7nm: 136x400" (gain: 150.00)
ZWO H-alpha 7nm: 15x600" (gain: 150.00)
ZWO OIII: 11x300" (gain: 150.00)
ZWO OIII: 267x400" (gain: 150.00)

Integration: 50.3 hours

Avg. Moon age: 7.89 days

Avg. Moon phase: 54.75%

Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 8.00

Astrometry.net job: 1801947

RA center: 45.411 degrees

DEC center: 64.769 degrees

Pixel scale: 0.913 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 263.294 degrees

Field radius: 0.667 degrees

Data source: Backyard

Description

I’m betting I’m the only astrophotographer who has ever tried HFG1 before giving M31 or M45 a shot. Anyway, after having concentrated on a couple of galaxies, I wanted to do a really challenging narrowband image, but this was even more challenging than I was expecting. I’ve been wanting to do HFG1 since I first saw Stephane Zoll’s version, which brought me to Nico Geisler and Frank Iwaszkiewicz’s absolute masterpiece of this duo. Even with more integration time, I couldn’t approach the detail or luminosity they were able to achieve. I'm starting to realize why people spend so much on those 3 nm Astrodons... I’m going to have at least a week of cloudy nights ahead – I might try downloading Astro Pixel Processor and seeing if it can help me bring out more detail and keep down the noise.

Comments

Author

Chris-PA
Chris Sullivan
Like

Revisions

B

I restacked without bias frames and used log/square root when applying changes to the stacks before exporting them. It allowed me to sharpen it more and push it further without introducing too much noise - noise issues kept me from taking this as far as I wanted in the previous version.

C

Added 22 hours of data.

D

Additional noise reduction from PixInsight.

E

11/19/2018: Inspired by Gary Imm's version and Eric Coles' amazing IOTD, I went back to my original data and decided to reprocess. The first thing I noticed was that I was clearly using the wrong flats for Ha, which COMPLETELY screwed up all the background hydrogen. (ARGH!) The second thing I noticed was no matter how I stacked, I couldn't get my darks to apply correctly. This resulted in far more noise than should be in there and TONS of hot pixels. I don't know what's going on there, but I do remember manually correcting the hot pixels last year. I don't have the patience for that here and I can't retake darks right now - first off, it's been too long, but secondly, my camera is on another continent at the moment. The data seem a bit flawed to me. Oh well - just another excuse to shoot this one again in a few years.

F

Re-added the luminance and selective color adjustments. Nothing to do about the noise though.

G

Mainly tried to get the red to be less brown. I also re-added parts of the luminance and reduced noise in the red channel. I need to stop reprocessing this one...

Sky plot

Sky plot

Histogram

Heckathorn-Fesen-Gull 1 (HFG1 / PK 136+05) and Abell 6, 





    
        

            Chris Sullivan