EAF on an Edge HD 9.25 Electronically-Assisted Astronomy (EAA) · Woz1961 · ... · 9 · 289 · 0

Woz1961 0.90
· 
Hi , just wondering if anyone has had issues with the Celestron EAF on an Edge HD9.25. Have seen in a couple of places now where it suggests that it is not compatible with this model when the reducer is fitted. Would seem a pretty lousy design if that is the case.  Wondering if the ZWO EAF is a better option .
hornjs 3.61
· 
Nope....I use EAF on my edge9.25....using this setup right now matter of fact and it seems to be doing fine.
lskov 0.00
· 
I use an Celestron EAF on my EdgeHD 9.25 and it works fine with the 0.7 reducer
Edited ...
msadkd 0.90
· 
·  1 like
I use the ZWO EAF on mine and I had to grind away some of the EAF's mounting bracket to make it fit.
Tackettbr 4.19
· 
I have the celestron eaf on my Edge 9.25 and works great. I use the zwo eaf on my other rigs with my rasa8, askar 400. I have had good luck with both, but went with celestron eaf for the 9.25 for less equipment to have when using it for visual work in order to use the same hand controler.
MichaelRing 3.94
· 
Using EdgeHD 9.25 with 0.7 Reducer, no issues at all, very reliable and reproduceable focus when you make sure that the last turns of the ZWO EAF push the mirror against gravity.
Edited ...
mgCatskills 0.00
· 
I just retired a ZWO EAF which had started on my C9.25 and replaced it with a Celestron Focus Motor on my EdgeHD 8".

I believe, reading the online info, that there USED to be a problem with the shape of the CFM on the 9.25, but the new ones have been redesigned to eliminate the issue.  So unless you're buying one used you should be fine.  If used, make sure it's the current model.

Having used both, I think the CFM is much better suited to an SCT.  The thing about SCT's is that they have a huge focus range.  The ZWO's firmware will only cover about 20% of it.  When you install it you need to make sure you're close to focus so that the 20% range covers the focus area you actually use.  But if you're using different configurations, you may find you need to set a new focus range whenever you change configurations...

None of this is terribly hard with the ZWO.  If the new range is "out" you can just zero the counter and keep going.  If it's "in", you'll need to mechanically disconnect the ZWO EAF, get past the focus of the new configuration, re-connect., and set to zero.

What is annoying is maintaining precise consistency when you return to the original configuration.

The CFM has an ASCOM driver that works fine with SharpCap and other imaging software.  It also has its own little Windows app that allows you to use its high speed mode which is useful to do a major refocus.

Another issue with the ZWO EAF is it's much bulkier and is likely to interfere with the Celestron OAG, for example, whereas the CFM hugs the back of the scope and allows the Celestron oag to rotate freely (assuming your guide camera is a "mini" not full sized)
Edited ...
PatrickGraham 5.70
· 
Michael Goldstein:
I just retired a ZWO EAF which had started on my C9.25 and replaced it with a Celestron Focus Motor on my EdgeHD 8".

I believe, reading the online info, that there USED to be a problem with the shape of the CFM on the 9.25, but the new ones have been redesigned to eliminate the issue.  So unless you're buying one used you should be fine.  If used, make sure it's the current model.

Having used both, I think the CFM is much better suited to an SCT.  The thing about SCT's is that they have a huge focus range.  The ZWO's firmware will only cover about 20% of it.  When you install it you need to make sure you're close to focus so that the 20% range covers the focus area you actually use.  But if you're using different configurations, you may find you need to set a new focus range whenever you change configurations...

None of this is terribly hard with the ZWO.  If the new range is "out" you can just zero the counter and keep going.  If it's "in", you'll need to mechanically disconnect the ZWO EAF, get past the focus of the new configuration, re-connect., and set to zero.

What is annoying is maintaining precise consistency when you return to the original configuration.

The CFM has an ASCOM driver that works fine with SharpCap and other imaging software.  It also has its own little Windows app that allows you to use its high speed mode which is useful to do a major refocus.

Another issue with the ZWO EAF is it's much bulkier and is likely to interfere with the Celestron OAG, for example, whereas the CFM hugs the back of the scope and allows the Celestron oag to rotate freely (assuming your guide camera is a "mini" not full sized)

*With that said, does anyone know if the ASI Air Plus supports the CFM.  I have the CFM on my Edge HD 11 and it certainly labor intensive to change out focus motors everytime I want to use it.

CS,
Patrick
ScottBadger 7.61
· 
Not sure why I'm the only one here that had the problem, but until Celestron sent me a new part, their focus motor wasn't compatible with my 9.25 Edge focus mechanism (it needed a longer pin) when I used the reducer. The focus motor doesn't go all the way to the end of the scope's focus range, it leaves a 'safety' margin at both ends, but the focus point with the reducer was within that margin, so the focus motor couldn't reach focus. It took a bit of back and forth with Celestron before I talked to a technician that had run into it before, knew what I was talking about, and sent a replacement part that fixed the issue.

Cheers,
Scott
Edited ...
mgCatskills 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Patrick Graham:
*With that said, does anyone know if the ASI Air Plus supports the CFM.  I have the CFM on my Edge HD 11 and it certainly labor intensive to change out focus motors everytime I want to use it.

CS,
Patrick

Nope. ASIair is basically a marketing strategy to tie you to ZWO hardware. The only 3rd party hardware it supports are mounts.  

Most other imaging software will work fine, specifically SharpCap and NINA.

Register or login to create to post a reply.