HUGE problem! Canon 600D/Rebel T3i remote socket broken? Generic equipment discussions · Franz Ferdinand · ... · 9 · 172 · 3

Franz85 0.00
hi guys,

i have a really big problem with my Canon since yesterday. it wont work with any remote shutter release cable anymore. i tried it also with the Mgen2 shutter control. nothing works. the screen of the camera flickers or goes black and thats it. on Thursday i shot the whole night and everything went fine.
i dont know if its something that i did or just bad luck or is it possible that dew got into the camera? does anyone have any experience with this? im missing out on wonderful moonless nights right now

Franz
derickson 7.28
Does the camera work without the shutter release? Does the camera work without the shutter release, but using the internal timer? (With my Canon I don't need a cable release for shots less than 30")  Do you have a second cable release you can try to see if it is the camera or the cable itself?  If you can isolate the issue to the cable port itself, looks like the camera will have to go in. I've never seen the problem and don't know what might cause it. Sad indeed. 

Daniel
Franz85 0.00
Hey Daniel, thanks for asking.
the camera works fine without the shutter release cable. i tried my shutter cable from rollei and the Mgen2 with another cable and both show the same problem. my guess is that dew water got into the port and damaged it. i was shooting at an angle that the port was facing up so maybe that makes it more likely for water to get it. seems like the camera really is broken... well time to replace i guess.
anyway im heartbroken to miss out on these perfect moonless and cloudless nights ;(
derickson 7.28
I feel the disappointment...I guess if water can create the Grand Canyon, a camera doesn't stand a chance. As we move into dew season here, thanks to you, I'm taking extra precautions.  ?
ODRedwine 1.51
Download the Canon Utility (AKA EOS Utility in some countries) and see if you can shoot using the USB port on the camera.

The Canon Utility program actually has a pretty good intervalometer function.
Franz85 0.00
thanks but unfortunately i dont have a laptop
Douwe79 0.90
I’d suggest you buy a (cheap) laptop for Astrophotography. Using dedicated software like backyard EOS beats remote shutter anyway
Good luck
gianluc1 0.00
try using Magic Lantern's built-in intervalometer
Franz85 0.00
Thanks guys, i will try magic lantern tomorrow
Franz85 0.00
Gianluca Belgrado:
try using Magic Lantern's built-in intervalometer

great tip! thank you so much. it worked fine and with that i could shoot another clear night before the clouds roll in once more.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.