Newbie question: ASI 294MC Pro + Tamron 150-600mm Di VC USD G2 Generic equipment discussions · Marcos J Pinto · ... · 12 · 231 · 0

marcosjpin 0.00
Hi!

I have an ASI 294MC Pro and a Tamron 150-600mm Di VC USD G2 and would like to use them together.

Please, what do I need to connect them and get the correct back focus?

Is it possible to even use filters?

Thanks a lot for any hints.

Marcos, Brazil.
Astrobird 10.16
Once I tried a similar set: An ASI294MM Pro +  ZWO filterwheel with LRGB filters + M48 to T adapter + Sigma 150-600mm Sport. There was no problem with back focus, but focussing was not easy. 
I guided with a ZWO 30mm Miniscope and an ASI120MM mini. 
The mount was an iOptron SkyGuider Pro on a good photo tripod. 

Unfortunately, the result was very disappointing. The stars in the corners looked like crosses, a sign for astigmatism. The lens is great for birding but apparently not good enough for stars. 

I hope you have more luck with your Tamron.
Gujopedi 0.90
Ola Marcos,

this lens is available for Canon and Nikon. Which type is yours?

My Sigma 150-600 contemporay is possibly comparable to Your Tamron,
and in the beginning of my astro-photo-passion i used the Sigma with a Canon 80D.
See this M31 picture to check my beginners star-Quality :-(

At least for the Canon EOS Bajonet there is an adapter available to M42 with internal M48 thread for filters.
It connects my ASI 2600 MC (Backfocus 17.5mm) to every EOS-compatible Lens and should mathch Your ASI 294 (Backfocus 6.5mm).

Good luck
até logo

Günther
FocalWorld 0.00
Olaf Fritsche:
Once I tried a similar set: An ASI294MM Pro +  ZWO filterwheel with LRGB filters + M48 to T adapter + Sigma 150-600mm Sport. There was no problem with back focus, but focussing was not easy. 
I guided with a ZWO 30mm Miniscope and an ASI120MM mini. 
The mount was an iOptron SkyGuider Pro on a good photo tripod. 

Unfortunately, the result was very disappointing. The stars in the corners looked like crosses, a sign for astigmatism. The lens is great for birding but apparently not good enough for stars. 

Why was it hard to focus? I currently capture DSO with my Tamron 150-600mm and Nikon D850 on the SkyGuider Pro and I don’t have any issues focusing it. Also my stars are fine corner to corner even with the full frame sensor.

I am considering the same move as the OP, upgrading to the same Astro cam as my next step while keeping my lens for now since it’s working good.

Thanks.
FocalWorld 0.00
·  1 like
Günther Dick:
Ola Marcos,

this lens is available for Canon and Nikon. Which type is yours?

My Sigma 150-600 contemporay is possibly comparable to Your Tamron,
and in the beginning of my astro-photo-passion i used the Sigma with a Canon 80D.
See this M31 picture to check my beginners star-Quality :-(

At least for the Canon EOS Bajonet there is an adapter available to M42 with internal M48 thread for filters.
It connects my ASI 2600 MC (Backfocus 17.5mm) to every EOS-compatible Lens and should mathch Your ASI 294 (Backfocus 6.5mm).

Good luck
até logo

Günther

Thanks for the heads up on the adapter, I have a Nikon version of the Tamron 150-600mm and that adapter sounds perfect! Are you using it?
Gujopedi 0.90
Hi Marcos,

as i mentioned above, i belong to the Canon-Family. Don´'t have any Nikon.
The  Sigma 150-600 contemporay is in use only for all everyday tasks, not for astrophotos.

CS

Günther
marcosjpin 0.00
Olaf Fritsche:

Hi Olaf,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I hope I have more luck with this lens+ASI camera too. 

Actually I bought this camera to use with a telescope I ordered a while ago. As it is not expected to arrive before October and the camera is about to arrive, I thought I could use it with the Tamron in the meantime.

My setup is very similar to yours, except I have no filters.

Greetings.
marcosjpin 0.00
·  1 like
Günther Dick:

Olá Günther!
Thanks for the info, helped me a lot.
I also use a Canon so this adapter is exactly what I was looking for - I have already ordered it and it's on its way, thanks!

I will be thrilled when I get a beginner result as your M31, it's certainly a good start. 

Thank you.
claytonostler 0.90
· 
Group. I have this lens but there are no aperture controls on the actual lens they have to be configured through the camera. Moving this to an Astro camera loses that functionality how are you opening up the lens together any light? This is kind of a big barrier for me. I can put it on my ASI camera but I can't open up the aperture. Love to know how you guys are doing this
andreatax 7.56
· 
If it is for a Canon then you set the desired aperture in-camera then, without turning the camera off, remove the lens. If it is for Nikon you need to hack the aperture tab.
claytonostler 0.90
· 
Thanks for the tip. It's Nikon but the Canon trick worked for me. 
Steps
Connect lens to camera
Turn on live view
Adjust to desired aperture 
Leave live view on
Disconnect lens

This worked for me. It's probably kind of hard on the camera but it gets the aperture adjusted.
andreatax 7.56
· 
Yes, sometimes it works for Nikon lens too but only occasionally (i.e., 200-500mm f/5.6 AF-S).
claytonostler 0.90
· 
I'm happy I got lucky. Going to try the g2 150-600 with the asi533mc pro tonight. With the smaller sensor and in a eq mount hoping for round stars. 

I picked up a bahtinov mask for it. Right now my longest to reach with a scope is 420, so hoping to get 600 as a short term solution.

Register or login to create to post a reply.