William Optics GT 102 - Views Generic equipment discussions · midnight_lightning · ... · 8 · 202 · 0

midnight_lightning 0.00
Hi,

I am about to buy a GT 102 on a recommendation, but on doing more research am struggling to find any reviews or videos for this scope.

I'm worried I am doing the wrong thing. I did look at the Esprit 100 (I have the 80 now) but the GT 102 gives me 703mm or 562mm with flattener reducer and the longer focal length is key as I want to be able to reach smaller targets.

I would be grateful to hear from any GT 102 owners (especially 2019 model) or suggestions for similar scopes / price range.
(Is the Altair Wave 115 comparable - I dont think it uses FPL glass?)

Thanks
Jon
matthew.maclean 3.97
I have a GT81 and can only say that I think it is a terrific telescope. I assume all the larger sized ones are going to be equally good. I tend to think that most of the good brands are very comparable these days since they are all basically buying the same glass from the same couple suppliers (Ohara or Hoya) and are probably designing them with the same software (likely ZeMax).

I do use Altair's cameras and like them very much. I have never seen any of their telescopes personally, but they seem to have a good reputation. I just looked quickly at the one you mentioned on their website. It is not too specific, but I noted that the equivalent 130mm triplet version states it is built with FPL-51 (not 53), while all their doublets are stated to have FPL-53. I assume Altair thinks that the color correction was good enough without needing FPL53 on the triplets?

I am definitely a WO fan and would buy a larger one without hesitation personally if I was shopping. But is there something that you don't like about your Sky-Watcher? They make sizes around 100mm and 120mm sizes too right? Stellarvue and Explore-Scientific would be two more brands to look at with similar price and quality.
midnight_lightning 0.00
I started off looking at the esprit 120 but would have needed to upgrade my mount, which then caused all sorts of weight issues - I currently leave my rig set up and carry it out each night - much harder to do with 120 and EQ6. So decided to settle on 4 “. The esprit is fixed at 550, the GT give a choice of 702 or 568 depending on flatterer. I have an esprit 80, tuned by Tommy at Teleskop express, and it’s an excellent scope - I’m hoping the GT will have the edge on the Esprit but probably not a massive difference. So essentially it’s the longer fl that make the GT interesting.
matthew.maclean 3.97
The only other thought I had was that Meade has a 115mm APO. I just searched and it lists a 805mm FL and is supposedly only about 0.5kg heavier than the GT102. Of course, I think Meade is undergoing bankruptcy restructuring right now, so how that would affect their manufacture, support, warranty, etc. might be a negative to consider, but it does sound like it at least an alternative to compare against. I have zero personal experience with Meade other than, after many hours of reading about telescopes online, I have the impression their 6000 series is a comparable quality to most of these others. I've been so impressed with my GT81 that I would always tend to go with WO personally, but I am sure all of these telescope makers have someone on Astrobin who loves them and another one who hates them.
midnight_lightning 0.00
Ill take a look at Meade - thanks
Cyg 0.00
I am having the same question around the 100mm APO and I also found the TS 107/700 Photoline with 4 different focal length: 700mm, 553mm with reducer, 860 with an extension and yet more with the 2nd maybe for visual only.
I don't know if it can compet with the WO or Esprit in term of quality ? It has a 3.5 focuser in its latest version.

Not forgetting the APM 107/700 525mm with reducer
midnight_lightning 0.00
I looked at the TS scopes, I bought my Esprit 80 from Tommy at Teleskop-express with their tuning service and been very pleased with it. Mailed them for further details a few days ago and didn't get a reply. The APM is new to me but definitely in the right ball park - will take a closer look.
astrograndpa 13.14
I purchase a WO 102GT in January 2020.  I had a used CGEM mount (had all kinds of issues and finally Celestron sent me a new CGEM II).  I'm using a 13 year old Canon Rebel 1000D.  (but upgrading when ZWO gets up and running)   Anyway, I think the scope is tremendous.  quality build.  not mus in the way of instructions though.  The focuser is tremendous,  when locked the camera is secure, being able to turn and then lock the entire focuser is a pleasure.  The glass is very clear and sharp stars through eyepiece.  I bought this scope because I do want to use eyepiece for star parties but my passion is photography.  The focal length is right in the middle, with reducer and a full camera sensor you can capture the entire pleiades.  with flatterner (no reducer) deep sky galaxies are reasonable.  check out my photos, but an old camera and  I'm very new at this.  lots of learning curves.

Also, recognize that since I'm new at this I don't have any other scope to compare it to.

I'm having trouble sharing an image but go to my homepage to check some out.
midnight_lightning 0.00
Thanks John, that’s good to know - my GT is due to arrive tomorrow 😁

Register or login to create to post a reply.