Tak Epsilon 130 - Lacerta MFOC autofocuser ? Takahashi Epsilon-130D · Aygen · ... · 2 · 155 · 0

a.erkaslan 4.88
· 
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Lacerate MFOC autofocuser ?

I am looking for something robust, free of backlash, and of course something that can ensure repeatability. I am get an e-130ed, and given the price of the scope (+/- 2.8k), I don't want to spend about 2K for a focuser.

I am aware of the Optec TFC-LEO (which I will have on my e-160ed). But as stated, this one is not on my prio for this project.

Thank you for your feedback.

CS,
A.
Edited ...
Staring 4.40
· 
·  1 like
The main inexactness in focusing with the Epsilons comes from the inadequate “machining” of the Tak focusers, which have rotational play and in some cases tilt when moving. The MFOC is a motor like the Pegasus FocusCube or ZWO EAF and will not fix this.

The Optec Leo is a replacement for the whole focuser assembly. 

That said, I had luck with the second sample of my Epsilon whose focuser works well enough for an APS-C cooled camera after a few hours of tinkering.

I paired with a Pegasus FocusCube and results are decent. I would recommend replacing the focuser for full-frame, though.

The backlash and play of my two ZWO EAFs was just too big, they were unsuitable.

The MFOC motor is also well-regarded, I’m sure it will work for you if the focuser itself is good.

Another one that is good is the Lakeside motor.
a.erkaslan 4.88
· 
Thanks Torben ! All valid points. And that’s why I ordered the e-160 with the TCF btw.

Will think about it carefully. Either way, I will have the octopi for tacking tilt.

Register or login to create to post a reply.