What does your backyard setup look like? Generic equipment discussions · Andy Wray · ... · 422 · 39825 · 443

janvalphotography 4.36
· 
·  1 like
Josh:
This is my current backyard setup.

Do you by any chance have a source for the stl files used to print those cable accessories that go through the pier extension? I've been putting of designing my own, if there are any ready to go source files I would be very pleased!
janvalphotography 4.36
· 
·  3 likes
My setup as we speak. Currently using my refractor, it's about -14 to -15 degrees outside. A bit warmer than the previous nights which were down to about -20 degrees.

Winter sessions
Hcharron 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
Here’s my basic/beginner setup. Celestron NexStar 8SE & Canon EOS 1100D all hooked up to a laptop running N.I.N.A. and CPWI in Galveston, Texas IMG_0955.jpeg
Djennings 4.75
· 
Nice setup Heather,

I bet out by the water you have some pretty dark skies... 

Thanks for sharing,
DJ
samerharry 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
My first astrophotography equipment (after 40 years visual observation) including my two smart telescopes.

20231230_122950.jpg
SpacePunch 1.81
· 
·  5 likes
IMG_0315.jpeg
James 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Askar LDP300 300mm(11.8”) It’s solid and so much better than the Vixen especially when placing the rig on a working surface!!
vishalgaurav 1.43
· 
·  3 likes
Here is my humble set up at my terrace in bortle 7 sky. A ZS81 on CEM40G, ASI2600MC pro paired with EAF, EFW, SVBony 210 rotator, SV209 1.x Flattener, Beelink Mini PC, Pegasys Powerbox Adavance Gen2, TPLink router enabling remote management. 20231112_004313.jpg
Vroobel 7.17
· 
·  2 likes
Vishal Gaurav:
Here is my humble set up at my terrace in bortle 7 sky. A ZS81 on CEM40G, ASI2600MC pro paired with EAF, EFW, SVBony 210 rotator, SV209 1.x Flattener, Beelink Mini PC, Pegasys Powerbox Adavance Gen2, TPLink router enabling remote management. 20231112_004313.jpg

Is there any kind of cage between the mount and the scope where the mini PC and other devices are placed?
Andys_Astropix 11.25
· 
·  6 likes
Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 10.58.24 am.pngIMG_7195.JPG
  • Takahashi TOA-130 Refractor
  • 1000/700mm f 7.7/ f5.4 with reducer
  • FOV 2.95 x1.96 degrees
  • Ioptron CEM70G Mount
  • Ioptron Tripier
  • Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox
  • Moonlite Nightcrawler
  • Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
  • Atik APX60 Mono Camera
  • Chroma 2" Filters
  • Intel i5 Nuc/Voyager acquisition software
  • Bortle 7, Population 5 million
  • Melbourne, Australia 
vishalgaurav 1.43
· 
·  3 likes
Vishal Gaurav:

Is there any kind of cage between the mount and the scope where the mini PC and other devices are placed?

Those are two losmandy plates separated by 2" riser blocks. Between those, I have Pegasys Powerbox Advance Gen2, a travel Wifi router and Mini PC. So I power powerbox and then it in-powers the rig. Mini PC connects to my travel wifi router through Ethernet and router connects to my home wifi. Use RDP to connect to Mini PC and control the rig.
Vroobel 7.17
· 
·  1 like
Vishal Gaurav:
Those are two losmandy plates separated by 2" riser blocks. Between those, I have Pegasys Powerbox Advance Gen2, a travel Wifi router and Mini PC. So I power powerbox and then it in-powers the rig. Mini PC connects to my travel wifi router through Ethernet and router connects to my home wifi. Use RDP to connect to Mini PC and control the rig.

It's completely new idea to me and I really like it. I use 3 different size scopes usually surrounded by several dovetail bars (both Losmandy and Vixen style) to be able to attach necessary devices without any snagging or so. But the cage seems most 'narrow' construction bringing even lower risk of problems. I'll use the idea when I buy an EdgeHD 8" or 9.25" in future. 🤩
garillan 2.11
· 
·  7 likes
In my case I have many backyards. Depending on what I feel like, I go to one or the other.
In any case, I usually work with a short focal length to make it more portable,325.jpg
Omegon Pro ED61 Apo 335mm 
IMG_05210.jpg
SW 80ED 600mm1254324197.JPG
Alan_Brunelle
· 
·  4 likes
To add to the many pages, here is my rig for multiple optics.  The intent is to use this with my Rokinon 135mm (rig shown) and then with a few cable connections, a yet-to-be acquired 90mm refractor of ~f/6.  I cannot say it will be a super quick change, but it should be relatively quick.  This is for car travel to dark sites.
Features for the general design:
- The 5030mm guide scope and camera are meant to be permanently mounted on the AM5.  Once this was set up, I really never, ever touch it.
- The computer and powerbox are attached to a longish Losmandy dovetail plate.
- There is rather simple cable management on the Losmandy plate.  
- A not super short low profile Vixen style base is attached to the Losmany plate.  This is where the optical tubes will be attached.  The second photo shows the Vixen tightening knobs.  These are easy to reach.
*The goal of this setup is that once a handful of cables are disconnected, the optical tube/camera, dew heaters, lens shade can be detached from the Vixen clamp.  The Vixen dovetail is dedicated to the optic.  Thus neither the optic side or mount side ever need modifying to add the refractor optic.  The lens/camera can be packaged in a case (if I so choose to make) to transport.  No, the guide scope mounted to the AM5 never clashes with the mount during any slewing or tracking.

Features of the Rokinon/QHY part of the rig:
-The annoying dovetail feature of the QHY268c camera requires a rather wonky and tilt-prone spacer-ring system for attachment.  I may be looking for a change at some point, but this camera is preferable to my ZWO 071c.
-The autofocus can be seen in the second photo.
-The extended dew/light shade really does make a difference.  It is home made of a thin rubber foam and the art board mask (fully plastic) at the front preserves shape during use.  Yes it really makes a significant improvement in background.  Certainly at my site with some distant neighborhood lights, which are not that bad.  I was surprised, but Rokinon users should consider this.  f2 really gobbles up light fast, including stray light.
-The dew/light shade also serves as a heat shield.  The otherwise poor placement of the computer, which can produce heat currents directly in front of the lens is negated by this shade.
-The second photo shows a bit more of the Flat "panel" that I made.  The first photo shows just the edge of this panel.  Here it is just lying on the front mask of the dew shield, but would be held in place in operation with simple paper clamps.  The "panel" is passive, made of thin, white, translucent plastic from an art supply store.  It is therefore akin to a waterproof white T-shirt!
image.png

Other side view:
image.png
*Note the Vixen knobs have extended shafts (as purchased), which makes for very easy use.  

*The dovetail plates and clamps place the Rokinon/Camera system in a close to balanced position.  Of course the AM5 is overkill for this particular lens/camera setup.

*With either the Rokinon or a 90mm refractor, weights will always be below that necessary to add a counterweight and bar with this mount.  The expectation is that the refractor will also be close to a balanced position, though not critical.  

I have only had the opportunity to use this a very few times as shown.  And I do not have a refractor yet.  

Some might ask why I do not use the pass through power feature of the AM5.  I find that the stated power limit of 3 Amps is too low, or too close to what my power draw (at maximum) can be.  Not wanting to fry anything.  I wish ZWO could have allowed a more robust current through this rather simple feature.
Edited ...
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  3 likes
Alan Brunelle:
*The dovetail plates and clamps place the Rokinon/Camera system in a close to balanced position.  Of course the AM5 is overkill for this particular lens/camera setup.

Hey Alan,

Nothing is overkill, this is something I used a few times about 12 years ago.
image.png
patrice_so 3.61
· 
·  6 likes
My backyard is a rooftop terrasse. Here is my setup, ready to go in summer, without dew shield and without air-forcing equipment at the back ot the primary. The setup main parts are a TS-UNC 8'' OTA, an ASI294MC pro and an EQ6r Pro. 
2023-09-01 19.36.11.jpg
Here is it in winter, with the frost equipment. Note that the foam structure at the back aims i) at preventing light leak and ii) at forcing the airflow of the fan into the OTA. With that, the shield (used only in September to December) and a heater on the secondary, I newer had any dew issue. 
2023-12-04 08.07.32.jpg
The rig is stored under a telegizmo 365 (on top of a first geoptic layer) 24/7/12/365 (without the camera and the coma corrector though). The cover is ventilated. An air duct takes the air from the top to the outside of the cover. Thanks to this, humidity is not completely acceptable. 

Clear skies !
Edited ...
Alan_Brunelle
· 
·  3 likes
Bob Lockwood:
Alan Brunelle:

Hey Alan,

Nothing is overkill, this is something I used a few times about 12 years ago.
image.png

Oh my gosh!  No wind issues for you!
Edited ...
AstroTrucker 6.22
· 
That is as close to perfection!!!...

CS. Tim
Netan_MalDoran 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
I've got a weird sliver of land between my house and the neighbors, giving me a perfect view of the east away from the city glow, I make do with what I've got.
This was earlier this week with my first 'good' camera, an ASI533.
20240110_175135.jpg
brazzo229 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
Hi,

Here is my double setup, the small mobile one with the AM3 and the Askar FRA300, wonderfully light and transportable.

The Permanent Pier is equipped with the AM5 and the Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

CS Sascha

IMG_1022.jpg
Pistachio_Enjoyer 2.15
· 
·  1 like
Kyle Cerniglia:
I've got a weird sliver of land between my house and the neighbors, giving me a perfect view of the east away from the city glow, I make do with what I've got.
20240110_175135.jpg

Is that the astroview 6?
Netan_MalDoran 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Kyle Cerniglia:
20240110_175135.jpg

Is that the astroview 6?

It's an old SpaceProbe 130ST I got when I was a kid. Not really meant for this, but it works well enough for now.
weine006 0.00
· 
·  2 likes

TEC 140 on a AP 1100 mount and Losmandy HD tripod.  
ZWO cameras and filter wheel.
Optec focuser, Pegasus powerbox.
All run by a laptop with Sharpcap and NINA.
Hoping to move to a wireless system soon!

Register or login to create to post a reply.