Hemisphere:  Northern  ·  Constellation: Cassiopeia (Cas)  ·  Contains:  IC 1590  ·  LBN 615  ·  LBN 616  ·  NGC 281  ·  Sh2-184
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
Pacman Nebula (SHO), 



    
        

            Linda
Powered byPixInsight
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
Pacman Nebula (SHO), 



    
        

            Linda
Powered byPixInsight

Acquisition details

Dates:
Oct. 30, 2021 ·  Nov. 3, 2021 ·  Nov. 12, 2021 ·  Nov. 13, 2021 ·  Nov. 14, 2021 ·  Nov. 15, 2021 ·  Nov. 19, 2021 ·  Nov. 21, 2021 ·  Nov. 22, 2021 ·  Nov. 23, 2021 ·  Nov. 24, 2021
Frames:
Astrodon H-alpha 5nm: 48×900(12h) -25°C bin 1×1
Astrodon OIII 5nm: 53×900(13h 15′) -25°C bin 1×1
Astrodon SII 5nm: 45×900(11h 15′) -25°C bin 1×1
Integration:
36h 30′
Avg. Moon age:
16.16 days
Avg. Moon phase:
71.22%

RA center: 00h52m16s.859

DEC center: +56°3708.50

Pixel scale: 0.741 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: -2.203 degrees

Field radius: 0.526 degrees

WCS transformation: thin plate spline

More info:Open 

Resolution: 3766x3451

File size: 627.8 KB

Data source: Own remote observatory

Remote source: Sierra Remote Observatories

Description

This is my second attempt at Pacman, this time as a narrowband image. I really liked the broadband version though I may go back and reprocess it) but wanted to see what narrowband would show and it's hard not to love the narrowband version.

There is a lot of data here though the OIII is not quite as good as it could have been thanks to some clouds but overall the data was workable without any major trouble thanks to having a lot of data. This is presented in a tone mapped SHO version, a combination I'm finding I really like. Here's what I did:

each S, H and O:
dynamic crop
deconvolution
histogram transformation
tgv denoise
starXterminator (extracting stars)​
​​​​​​
SHO:
channel combination (SHO)
LHE (2 scales)
dark structure enhance script
MLT sharpening
curves (contrast)
Then a bunch of fiddling to tame a nasty looking diffraction spike/halo on one star using a combination of MLT to remove some layers and Curves to shift some hues and color saturation (all using a mask generated in GAME). Ultimately that helped but I took the image into PS and used context aware fill to get rid of the vestiges. While I was in PS I did a touch of noise reduction in Camera Raw.
pixel math in Ha stars

Ha stars
histogram transformation

Ultimately I decided to just use Ha stars. It looked better than the SHO stars. Except for that one diffraction spike/halo star it was relatively straightforward. I was almost able to tame it in PI. I suppose I could have used Clone Stamp to accomplish it but context aware fill did the job faster and probably better than I could have on my own.

Comments