Two ASI2600MC Cameras; one is RGGB Pattern and one is GRBG Pattern - why ?? Any Ideas ? ZWO ASI2600MC Pro · AstroRBA · ... · 6 · 928 · 1

AstroRBA 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Hello All,

I use two different ASI2600MC cameras and one has a "standard" RGGB pattern output and one has a "GRBG" pattern output - all set up conditions being absolutely identical in Sharpcap BUT the exact same Sharpcap, same configuration and the same PC etc.; but they produce different outputs from two different (but identical model) cameras. Not sure why or how two supposedly identical cameras left the factory with different Bayer patterns (purchased within six months of each other as well)

Question 1/: Is there a method in which to access the camera, on board, to change the GRBG to RGGB ?

Question 2/: Is there a way for WBPP to identify the GRBG output properly; it currently treats both outputs as RGGB thereby producing incorrect results on the GRBG subs - DSS can manually be adjusted for GRBG but I like the WBPP results better. WBPP seems to not have this capability.

Any ideas are appreciated !

Pete
jarod 0.00
· 
If you use NINA for data collection, try changing the Bayer pattern under "Options", "Equipment", and then "Camera". Hope this helps, clear skies!

EDIT: I think this setting is for something else, like for cameras with different Bayer patterns, but it came to mind. 
image.png
Edited ...
njr95 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hi Pete, if you've cropped any of your images by an odd number prior to debayering that may change your Bayer pattern. This includes cropping during acquisition or image calibration. Try debayering one of your affected subs with different Bayer patterns until there's one that shows the correct colour.
chrisjbailey 0.00
· 
Are the output frames the same dimension?

do the two cameras report the same firmware?

you can specify the Bayer pattern in WBPP under CFA, normally set to Auto.
rambaut 1.20
· 
·  1 like
You would get GRBG if the Bayer mask was shifted by one pixel column horizontally:
RG|RG|RG
GB|GB|GB

R|GR|GR|G
G|BG|BG|B 

Perhaps the mask is slightly out of alignment? Or the auto pattern detection is failing because of a small difference in the cameras?

Are the subs exactly the same size? Does the first column of pixels look OK?
Edited ...
AstroRBA 1.51
· 
Chris Bailey:
Are the output frames the same dimension?

do the two cameras report the same firmware?

you can specify the Bayer pattern in WBPP under CFA, normally set to Auto.

Hi Chris,

I see CFA settings in WBPP but I couldn't access it before - but now I've figured it out!

And, yes all is identical with each 2600's output - very bizarre!

Pete
lazyimager 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Pete,
Try downloading and reinstalling the driver for the bad actor camera. Others have reported that has fixed there bayer matrix issue. Hope this helps.
I had a somewhat related problem with my 2600. Sharpcap and AstroPixelProcessor reported a different bayer pattern for the same image. Turned out Sharpcap had changed the format used to write the FITS header and APP then had to write a change in its code to read it properly.  
Cheers,
Darrell

Register or login to create to post a reply.