Hemisphere:  Northern  ·  Constellation: Delphinus (Del)
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1), 


            Chris Sullivan
Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1)
Powered byPixInsight

Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1)

Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1), 


            Chris Sullivan
Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1)
Powered byPixInsight

Abell 72 (PK 59 -18.1)

Technical card

Imaging telescopes or lenses: Explore Scientific PN-208/812 Carbon Fiber OTA

Imaging cameras: ZWO ASI 1600MM Cool

Mounts: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5

Guiding telescopes or lenses: ZWO Off Axis Guider

Guiding cameras: Starlight Xpress Lodestar Autoguider X2

Filters: Chroma OIII 3nm  ·  Optolong H-alpha 7nm 1.25"  ·  Green  ·  Blue  ·  OIII  ·  Red

Accessory: Explore Scientific HR Coma Corrector

Dates:Sept. 20, 2020Sept. 21, 2020Sept. 23, 2020Sept. 24, 2020Oct. 1, 2020Oct. 3, 2020Oct. 4, 2020Oct. 6, 2020

Blue: 60x60"
Green: 64x60"
Optolong H-alpha 7nm 1.25": 10x600"
Chroma OIII 3nm: 107x600"
Optolong Red 1.25": 52x60"
Red: 61x60"

Integration: 23.4 hours

Avg. Moon age: 11.17 days

Avg. Moon phase: 63.40%

Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 7.50

Basic astrometry details

Astrometry.net job: 3911237

RA center: 20h 50' 1"

DEC center: +13° 33' 28"

Pixel scale: 0.456 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 274.025 degrees

Field radius: 0.273 degrees

Resolution: 3450x2575

Locations: Home Roof (Bortle 7-8 / Est. Sky Quality: 18.53), Springfield, PA, United States

Data source: Backyard


I was going to start processing this over the weekend and realized that I had some PN signal in my red subs. Then I realized (obviously way too late): This object definitely has an Ha signal. Argh! I'm so anxious to publish something and move on that I decided to give it only one night of Ha (last night) and just roll with what I got (of course I also had to trash a third of my Ha subs due to PEC going haywire). I don't even think it's visible in this image. I probably could have done better if I had more patience or just grabbed more Ha instead of OIII. The OIII signal was stronger than I was expecting, and five-minute subs probably would have been enough.

I'm definitely in an astro funk right now. I still can't get my SharpStar working like I want to and I've been having a lot of other random issues - my EQDir cable stopped working last night, I had dew/ice on my sensor (I've taken a lot of steps to prevent that lately, but I did let the scopes run once a few nights ago when it was crazy humid out), my computer for my other setup keeps crashing, other gear not performing as expected, etc., etc. I've got some issues to hammer out over the next few days...