Cookie consent

AstroBin saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing AstroBin without changing the browser settings, you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

I agree
Contains:  Bode's Galaxy, M 81, NGC 3031
Getting plate-solving status, please wait...
M81, 



    
        

            Scott
M81
Powered byPixInsight

M81

Technical card


Dates:Feb. 27, 2020March 7, 2020

Frames:
ZWO 31mm Ha 7nm ZWO Ha: 15x180" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 2x2
ZWO 31mm Lumance ZWO Lum: 120x45" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 1x1
ZWO 31mm Red ZWO Red 31mm: 12x120" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 2x2
ZWO 31mm Blue Zwo Blue: 15x120" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 2x2
ZWO 31mm Green Zwo Green: 12x120" (gain: 76.00) -15C bin 2x2

Integration: 3.5 hours

Darks: ~20

Avg. Moon age: 7.82 days

Avg. Moon phase: 52.80%

Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 5.60

Mean SQM: 19.30

Temperature: 2.60


Basic astrometry details

Astrometry.net job: 3304992

RA center: 9h 55' 28"

DEC center: +69° 3' 46"

Pixel scale: 0.430 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 90.262 degrees

Field radius: 0.292 degrees


Resolution: 3891x2953

Data source: Traveller

Description

When I hear the word galaxy, M81 is the image that comes to mind. The near perfect symmetry along with the detailed structures in the spiral arms combine to make a beautiful target.

I'm not sure why but this dataset took much more effort than I expected to get near the colors I was after, which I never was quite able to achieve. Some Ha data would help as the image is a bit flat without them. Hopefully I can capture some soon.

Comments

Author

f300v10
Scott
License: Attribution-NonCommercial Creative Commons
2040
Like

Revisions

  • M81, 



    
        

            Scott
    Original
  • Final
    M81, 



    
        

            Scott
    D

D

Description: I took advantage of the clear skies last night to capture an hour of Ha on M81, which seemed to work well in spite of the full moon. I then combined it with the LRGB stacks I shot last week, and completely re-processed the image. I took a different approach to the color and took what the image was giving me rather than try and make it look how I wanted. This result is much closer to what I was after.

Sky plot

Sky plot

Histogram

M81, 



    
        

            Scott