1.25" LRGB filters opposed to 2" LRGB Filters using a ASI2600mm Pro Camera Narrowband imaging · Anthony Fuller · ... · 12 · 459 · 1

itpartners12 2.71
· 
Hello, fellow astrophotographers!

I really could use some advice on LRGB filters. So far I'm using ZWO 2" LRGB filters, and thinking of purchasing Chroma LRGB filters.

My question is, would LRGB filters that are 1.25" cause issues (vignetting), with using my ASI2600mm pro camera, which has a wide sensor?
Or should I go for 2" LRGB filters instead?

Going with the 1.25" is a lot cheaper, but it also means buying a new EFW also and Ha, OIII & SII filters as well. 

I live in Bortle 6-7 skies. 

Thank you in advance!
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  1 like
What scope are you using?  

This calculator will also tell you best size to get.   https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_filter_size
Edited ...
itpartners12 2.71
· 
I have several but for the most part I'll use TPO RC 304mm F/8, Explore Scientific ED165mm APO Triplet and once in a while the Explore Scientific ED102mm APO triplet refractor
Edited ...
itpartners12 2.71
· 
·  1 like
Anthony:
I have several but for the most part I'll use TPO RC 304mm F/8, Explore Scientific ED165mm APO Triplet and once in a while the Explore Scientific ED102mm APO triplet refractor

*** Awesome, thank you!***
stan29693 2.41
· 
·  3 likes
I believe at 31mm/1.25 inch filters you will have some pretty severe vignetting. I am getting away with 36mm filters on my QHY268M with the same sensor as your asi2600 with no vignetting. If you are forced to change filter wheel and filters it's not much more expensive to go to 36mm from 31.

Stan
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  1 like
I also have the ASI2600 and then bought the ASI6200.  So, I sold my 1.25" and got all 2" filters and the larger filter wheels.  I know it is a big leap in price, but you can sell the 1.25" filters easily enough and once done, you are finished even if you decide to get a full frame sensor down the road.
itpartners12 2.71
· 
That is what I was afraid of,  vignetting.
The calculator from above is showing the minimum filter size of 30.28mm, equivalent to a 1.25" filters size for the TPO RC 304mm.

TPO FilterSize.jpg
itpartners12 2.71
· 
Yeah, I think the 2" LRGB and narrowband Ha, OIII & SII is where I'll head. @Bruce Donzanti , where did you sell your equipment? I have equipment I purchased years ago, some used and unused.  

Covid19 is cooped up and buying frenzy. 
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  1 like
Astromart- check out the website.  Great place to sell stuff
Krizan 5.73
· 
·  1 like
I have the QHY268M.  You will need 2".  And, with the IMX455, more likely 50mm. The Astronomik's are  a good choice.  I use the Astronomik MaxFR Ha & SII 6nm and the Chroma OIII F3 3nm. You don't have to go with Astrodons or Chroma.  Baader has a bad reputation of halos with the OIII as do cheaper manufactures. Search on Cloudy Nights for filter reviews.

Lynn K.
itpartners12 2.71
· 
@Lynn K, I appreciate the input, Lynn! I was looking at Astronomik and wasn't sure. I did review Cloudynights yesterday and lots of input, no one really used Chroma. There was Astrodon, Astronomiks, and one other. 

I'm going to take it slow, these filters are just as costly as purchasing a NexDome, Lol!!
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  1 like
Be careful- many folks use Chroma filters and you can see that on this site.   Also, Astrodon does not make a 2" filter.  Many folks will buy Baader, Astronomik, and Antlia filters but also get the Chroma OIII filter.  That is one way to save a lot of money and not get frustrated with halos around bright stars using an OIII filter not from Chroma.
XCalRocketMan 3.71
· 
·  1 like
I know this is a bit late to the game to make suggestions, but ... I just went with 2" filters for use with my ASI2600.  I was going to get the Chromas, but my finances wouldn't allow it.  So I purchased the new Optolong 3nm 2" set.  I was a bit afraid of the halo on the Oiii, but it turned out not to be too bad at all (actually testing the filters for the first time tonight as I write this).  You definitely need 2" filters for this camera and your OTAs.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.