Whats the thing with EAA? Electronically-Assisted Astronomy (EAA) · Andi · ... · 6 · 363 · 0

Anderl 3.81
· 
Cheers guys, 

what exactly is the thing with eaa? (apart from planetary)
Guess short exposure ap is a nice way to overcome a small part of the seeing related problems we have but why would one rather watch what is happening on a screen than into an eyepiece? 
Maybe a modern camera sees more than your eyes but why don’t just do ap in the first place then? I mean obviously the eaa guys already own the necessary equipment. 

Great thing if somebody could enlighten me. Maybe i want to do eaa as well if i understand why others do it. 

cs
Andi
cheesyminecart 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
well, for one it's a lot easier to use a laptop than to go under an eyepiece, it can get hard on the neck/knees or to resolve things in full detail through an eyepiece

besides, a lot of us live in the city and it's really hard to get conditions where EAA may not be needed, so to get the maximum out of our images we'll go for eaa software as a means to preview + stack
HotSkyAstronomy 2.11
· 
·  4 likes
EAA is definitely the most compelling route to go for public outreach. You have a live view of the object, which presents learning opportunities.
FotografiabyMiguel 2.41
· 
·  5 likes
Observational astronomy can be done in a new way with Electronically Assisted Astronomy (EAA). Instead of looking through an eyepiece, a camera is used with a telescope to capture short exposures. Then, software stacks and processes the images to display on a connected screen (laptop, cellphone or tablet) in almost real-time.  EAA offers several benefits over traditional observing.

Firstly, it allows you to see more than you normally would. The image stacking creates a clearer view of what you are observing. Secondly, it also helps to reduce light pollution. Thirdly, you can use smaller, lower-aperture telescopes because the view is electronically enhanced. Fourthly, it is ideal for people with visual impairments because they can observe on a larger screen. Lastly, you can livestream and share your views online with others.  

As others have mentioned it is great for outreach. 

However, EAA also has some disadvantages. Firstly, it requires a more complicated setup with an EAA camera, a PC/laptop, or a device to control the telescope and move the mount,  then these are connected by cables and additional power sources. Secondly, it involves additional costs for the cameras and gear. Lastly, it is less portable than traditional observing due to the extra components and cables.
Edited ...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  2 likes
Along with everything mentioned above on EAA, another benefit is color image verses mono chrome colors on dso’s. Of course you do get color in planetary imaging but for the most part visual is mostly black and white except star colors.
jml79 3.87
· 
·  1 like
There has been some discussion about this over on CN. Basically, EAA is observing. You aren’t putting in the effort or time to get that award winning view and edit. You are just hanging out with your scope and seeing things in real time. The emphasis is on the observing and as a side benefit the equipment is usually (but not always) much less expensive. It solves a lot of problems for visual enthusiasts, especially those that live in a city. A modest camera and 4" refractor can suddenly give you views that nothing less than a 20" newt can begin to compare with.

I enjoy both. A night of EAA can be very engaging and relaxing. I often check out new targets, plan my framing, see how much signal is there etc. As mentioned above, it’s also the perfect way to hang out with my kids some and something to share at family camp outs. Let’s face it, astrophotography is far from a spectator sport.
Tombee 1.51
· 
·  2 likes
I really like EAA and it is fun to do one your own or with family and friends.
In most aspects you should compare EAA with astrophoto and not visual observations.
You could say that EAA is astrophoto in real time.
The images gets better and you and your audience can watch as the colours and images grow as time (and images) goes by.

When doing visual you can stare into the eyepiece for a decade without getting more than a headache

Register or login to create to post a reply.