What does it take for an object in the night sky to become an own deep sky object and what is the best way to get informations for specific things in the night sky? Anything goes · Andi · ... · 9 · 683 · 3

Anderl 3.81
· 
Hey guys, 

another question that shows that i still have no clue about astronomy. 
After working on my mosaic of the sadr region for the whole year, i am now trying to find out what deep sky objects are in that thing. (Bad weather things)

turns out that i am unable to find many of the things in the picture. 

i tried the pixinsight annotation, astrometry, simbads query around and aladin without success but probably i have just done something wrong. 

my 2 questions are:

1. what is the best way to find information for an specific thing in the night sky?

2. what does it take for a structure in the night sky to even become his own thing an not just a feature of another dso?

here are 2 structures that i am tried to find informations for.
The bad defined oiii structure and the i would call it x structure in oiii. 
1.png2.pngBildschirmfoto 2023-12-02 um 19.50.03.png
Medve 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I found something similar a few months ago, I was imaging the sadr region with a hyperstar and after a lot of data collected, I found that there was a very faint "X" close to sadr. Mine was barely visible and I only found it when I overstretched the green and blue wavelengths, it definitely wasn't as pronounced as yours.
​​​​​
I also looked at what it could be but eventually I decided it was probably just an artefact since it was so faint and I couldn't find other images with it.
Also I was facing collimation issues
​​and the data in general was a bit dodgy so I decided it was probably just part of the bad data.
However, now I am also intrigued to find out what it could be.
​​​​​
​​
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  2 likes
Well, a good starting point would be the dozens of deep sky catalogues developed over the years, starting with Charles Messier’s famous Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters in 1771.  Many of these catalogues (Abell, Caldwell, IC, NGC, etc) have been further supplemented by individual published studies and often summarized by sites such as NASA.  You just have to do a little bit of homework at times, especially on some of the more obscure objects.
Anderl 3.81
· 
Bruce Donzanti:
Well, a good starting point would be the dozens of deep sky catalogues developed over the years, starting with Charles Messier’s famous Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters in 1771.  Many of these catalogues (Abell, Caldwell, IC, NGC, etc) have been further supplemented by individual published studies and often summarized by sites such as NASA.  You just have to do a little bit of homework at times, especially on some of the more obscure objects.

am I wrong if suppose that all these catalogue objects should show up in one of the sites I have tried searching? high chance I did something wrong or have missed checking some boxes. guess I will look again.

what would be the way of acting here? searching for a near by star or an near by dso and than searching the internet for studies?
umasscrew39 12.53
· 
·  1 like
You can search by both nearby stars and DSOs and very often, there will be additional references cited on what you find.  Sometimes even a simple Google search can get you started.
Anderl 3.81
· 
Thx to marcel drechsler i could find out what the object is.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2010.15854.pdf
andreatax 7.56
· 
·  1 like
Andi:

"No optical counterpart of the SNR has been detected. Mavromatakis (2003) searched for optical emission lines ([NII], [SII], and [OIII]) and found patchy emission towards the south, southeast, and north-west of the SNR. In the south-east hints for shock-heated gas suggest that the low density medium, in which the SNR evolves, contains clouds with pre-shock densities of ~20 cm^−3 and a shock velocity of ~750 km s^−1 . The author further inferred that most of the hot dust and absorbing matter lies in the foreground of the SNR, which possibly obscures most of the optical emission"

But the original paper quoted in the article linked above clearly show the SNR structure in OIII (my guess is that the feature imaged is the structure indicated by [4] in figure 2) :

Deep optical observations of G 65.3+5.7 (aanda.org)
Edited ...
Anderl 3.81
· 
andrea tasselli:
Andi:

"No optical counterpart of the SNR has been detected. Mavromatakis (2003) searched for optical emission lines ([NII], [SII], and [OIII]) and found patchy emission towards the south, southeast, and north-west of the SNR. In the south-east hints for shock-heated gas suggest that the low density medium, in which the SNR evolves, contains clouds with pre-shock densities of ~20 cm^−3 and a shock velocity of ~750 km s^−1 . The author further inferred that most of the hot dust and absorbing matter lies in the foreground of the SNR, which possibly obscures most of the optical emission"

But the original paper quoted in the article linked above clearly show the SNR structure in OIII (my guess is that the feature imaged is the structure indicated by [4] in figure 2) :

Deep optical observations of G 65.3+5.7 (aanda.org)

I think patchy emissions is a perfect fit for what i see in my image.
Semper_Iuvenis 2.10
· 
·  1 like
Just curious about what the platesolving results are when you load your image into astrobin?  Also in PI, does the Image Solve script solve the image?  These are excellent ways to see what is identifiable in your image.  I use stellarium to identify targets in my fov as well.  Cheers
Anderl 3.81
· 
·  1 like
Monty Chandler:
Just curious about what the platesolving results are when you load your image into astrobin?  Also in PI, does the Image Solve script solve the image?  These are excellent ways to see what is identifiable in your image.  I use stellarium to identify targets in my fov as well.  Cheers

Have done that of course but nothing on those 2 objects. as written above i know believe it is the snr G 78.2+2.1.

Register or login to create to post a reply.