How many hours per week do you spend on AP ?! Anything goes · AstroRBA · ... · 29 · 1273 · 0

AstroRBA 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Sean Mc:
Since I got my edge 8, I spend most of my time here. I’ve shot about 4 hours on a single target in the last 2 months.  Milton ontario does not have ANY clear skies anymore.

I’d shoot all night almost every night if I could.

I feel your pain! I'm only 15 minutes from Milton !
Mau_Bard 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
Andi:

fighting my gear acquisition syndrome: 24/7

LOL! Absolutely right, Andy!

Mau
Edited ...
OABoqueirao 0.00
· 
·  1 like
In my case it depends on the weather since I live in a marine temperate climate. Some weeks I don't so anything regarding to capture, other weeks I spend around 10-15h per week. I've changed things in the last year and a helf. What I did to optimize time was take advantage of the clear nights to shoot and sometimes calibration fo the instruments when it's needed, and I mainly don't do aný post-processing the files. Only check the lights to see if everything is in order, because when I have crappy days of rain, etc. those are the days for do all the work like processing the data, cleaning, lubricate and adjust instruments like the rigs and computers, etc. Worked very well for me, the shitty thing is that sometimes I post the products of my work, out of dated, but for me that's ok.. I don't have problems with it.
CCDnOES 5.21
· 
Prior to getting set up in a remote site in Ca, imaging was mostly a summer activity from my backyard roll-off in Central Oregon. Good seeing and about Bortle 3 skies. Forget about winter, skies are cloudy 95% of the time and when they are clear the seeing is awful. I would spend maybe a couple hours each day total in the summer.

Now that I have a remote site in Ca available as well as somewhat better equipment, the time has increased quite a bit but mostly due to more data to process since along with the new site has come better automation so I spend much less time "hand on mouse" operating the equipment.

Average day will be maybe an hour setting up the night's sequence which includes evaluating the previous data for the object(s)  (if any) and programming in what additional frames are required. Not a fan of doing this automated (such as with NINA target scheduler) since it is less reliable and winds up taking as much time dealing with the automated evaluation as doing it more manually does. Starting the sequence takes only a few minutes each night and downloading and pre-evaluation (dumping the  few  really poor frames) of data in the AM maybe 30 minutes. I have also gotten much fussier and toss maybe 50% or more of the frames eventually - most of which I suspect most people would keep - but resolution is my thing.

Processing typically takes 3-10 hours per image. Lots of variation there since some images are much easier (such as galaxies) and some are tough (like planetaries with ultra wide dynamic ranges)
ONikkinen 3.15
· 
·  2 likes
Since i started in 2020 i have managed somewhere between 20-30 useful imaging nights per year. Imaging weather here in Finland is a rare treat, and i cant always make use of every one of them with my lack of a backyard to image in (have to drive ~45min each time i want to do anything useful with the scope). The fact that between roughly April 25th and August 25th we have no astro darkness and so no real opportunity to image doesn't help, and the worst part is that weather for those months isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the year. Shouldn't complain too much, im already used to it at this point and there is nothing that could possibly make me do something else as a hobby.

So whatever the number of hours is, its too little, and so probably 95% of my "total imaging time" is browsing forums and other not actually imaging related time.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.