What has been your worst astrophotography investment? Anything goes · Dan · ... · 85 · 5730 · 3

Nevril 0.00
· 
I bought my Start Adventurer 2i because I was thinking "I'll go camping somewhere, maybe hiking or biking. Under a Bortle 1 or 2 sky, is gonna be awesome!".
For the past 2 years I've been using it from my balcony (Bortle 9).

Don't get me wrong, I like it even if it takes time to proper Polar Align, but in the end does a decent job even if auto guiding is limited to RA.
It's just that I'm never using it during an "adventure" (there have been occasions, but either ended up raining or it was during full, like 100% full moon).

I think I'm gonna move to a slightly bigger mount, maybe one of those strain wave, so the adventuring option remains.
gnnyman 4.21
· 
Nothing is an investment for me - it is a hobby and its not inexpensive at all. But some items, I would never buy again, because for me at least, they had been the wrong choice - one example: The Lacerta MGEN3 focusing system. It works very fine but I couldn´t  work with that small monitor, I do not see enough on it and so I sold it again. A very precise equipment, but for my eyes not suitable. Now, with N.I.N.A. as my primary acquisition software, I would keep it, because now it works also with NINA... but three years ago, it was not the case.
Bob_Gardner 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Since I couldn't afford a Criterion RV6 Dynascope, in 1973 when I was in High School, I purchased Coulter 8" f/20(!) primary and secondary mirrors, a spider, a rack and pinion mount for the eyepiece, an aluminum tube to mount it all in, and a very tall, spindly GEM mount for it.  It cost way less than the RV6 but yielded inferior images.
Edited ...
refoster61 1.20
· 
·  1 like
So for me, it has not been any big-ticket expensive gear, but rather the seemingly endless indiscriminate and impulsive purchase of rails, bars, mounts and accessories to try and image with different cameras in different combinations on different mounts. Even a few years into this, mistakes are commonplace and they are all mine! I would imagine most of us are fairly OCD about the essential components. However, the myriad little things are often assumed to be understood but too often are not,  and they add up pretty quickly.
smcx 2.41
· 
My worst ap purchase was my first purchase. Es AR102 on an meade lx85 mount.  Local astro store recommended the combo. I refuse to shop there now lol. Virtually useless. Maybe i can repurpose it into a solar scope?
CCDnOES 5.21
· 
Boltwood Cloud Sensor. The first one I had lasted years but the second one never worked right from the beginning, giving constant false rain indications. Overly expensive and poor QC and support. Now using the much cheaper Lunatico which works great.
Mikeinfortmyers 7.53
· 
·  1 like
Bought a new LX200 Meade OTA. Sold it a month later at a loss. Don't know what was wrong with it. Just would not produce a good image despite good collimation. Went back to Celestron and will never purchase a Meade product again. 

Mike
DanRossi 4.72
· 
The ZWO ASI 294MM.  Even though I was able to capture good images, the amp glow and mottling patterns were sometimes too severe to deal with in post processing. I tried flats of varying exposure lengths, tried dark flats, and still wasn't able to get rid of the patterns. I traded it in and "downgraded" to the 533MM, but to me it was an upgrade not to have to deal with those issues.
DeepSkyVilla 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Astrobin because the log in sucks.
Sometimes have to receive a ''token'' for 3 times before I can log in.
Come on boys.
It's a few photo's. It's not the federal reserve you must protect !!
If this doesn't approve, I will end my contract.
AstroDan500 4.67
· 
·  3 likes
Deepsky Villa:
Come on boys.

What a strange view to have since a website has zero to do with imaging and 99 percent have no problem.
Quit, show your photos to your friends.
apennine104 3.61
· 
Deepsky Villa:
Come on boys.

You can turn off two factor authentication in the settings.

Register or login to create to post a reply.