Useful Group Kohoutek Planetary Nebulae · Jerry Yesavage · ... · 9 · 65 · 0

jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
Hey Gary,

These groups I find very useful to check out what others have done with these PN especially what NB filters are effective.  Can waste hours on something that has no signal.  When I was doing the Abells I tried to look this up and it was not reliably noted. 

JY
GaryI
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for that, Jerry!  In my Compendium, I have listed the relative narrowband channel strengths for emission nebula, which I think is useful.  For example, M17 is 0.2/1.0/0.4 for SII/Ha/OIII.  I am planning to do that as well for planetary nebula.
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
Was unaware of that.  Must be difficult to find reliable sources.
GaryI
· 
·  2 likes
One of the benefits of having so many emission and PN images is that I can extract the data from my own images, so I know the equipment and processing history.    I won't have all of them, of course, but the majority.
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
·  1 like
Should we try this with as i mentioned n another group small scopes and under bad skies for light pollution?
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  1 like
Tareq Abdulla:
Should we try this with as i mentioned n another group small scopes and under bad skies for light pollution?

Well I certainly have the bad skys aspect covered.  I have not gotten a good image for two weeks... maybe tonight.  This is of course why I have learned to like these PN as they burn through a lot of bad visibility.  The Sharpless2 Objects do also.  If you are interested in the groups I noticed today that the Sharpless2 Group I started 4 years ago has had 4000+ submissions... a lot of H-alpha imaged.  This is also clearly light pollution territory....
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
·  1 like
Jerry Yesavage:
Tareq Abdulla:

Well I certainly have the bad skys aspect covered.  I have not gotten a good image for two weeks... maybe tonight.  This is of course why I have learned to like these PN as they burn through a lot of bad visibility.  The Sharpless2 Objects do also.  If you are interested in the groups I noticed today that the Sharpless2 Group I started 4 years ago has had 4000+ submissions... a lot of H-alpha imaged.  This is also clearly light pollution territory....

Cool, i hope i can image that, i bought my new scope last year for that and something else, but even that i consider it like a small one, but it is still very capable for doing PNs, maybe i should buy a smaller sensor to make it more tight and better size, narrowbanding isn't an issue, but many targets need RGB anyway, stars for examples.
xxao 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Rest in Peace Dr. Kohoutek

The internationally renowned Czech astronomer Luboš Kohoutek, the discoverer of the famous Kohoutek Comet, passed away at the age of 88 on Saturday, December 30, 2023, in Bergedorf, Germany. It is a significant loss of one of the most diligent and meticulous Czech astronomers of the 20th century, who spent a record-breaking 290 shifts at the European Southern Observatory telescope at La Silla.

Life of Dr. Kohoutek (in Czech language)
Wiki (in English)
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
Tareq Abdulla:
Jerry Yesavage:
Tareq Abdulla:

Cool, i hope i can image that, i bought my new scope last year for that and something else, but even that i consider it like a small one, but it is still very capable for doing PNs, maybe i should buy a smaller sensor to make it more tight and better size, narrowbanding isn't an issue, but many targets need RGB anyway, stars for examples.

Hi, just noticed this.  You may not need to do too much RGB.  See for example my latest K1-16 totally NB.  The stars are fixed with Spectrophotometry in the PI Procedure.  A lot of the Sharpless objects are big and you do not need a long FL scope.
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
Jerry Yesavage:
Tareq Abdulla:
Jerry Yesavage:
Tareq Abdulla:

Hi, just noticed this.  You may not need to do too much RGB.  See for example my latest K1-16 totally NB.  The stars are fixed with Spectrophotometry in the PI Procedure.  A lot of the Sharpless objects are big and you do not need a long FL scope.

I will try them and see, i don't like colors from NB even if you correct them, mostly purplish or just two colors not that great, for smaller scopes i can have a separate setup for RGB alone, while for larger scopes i can't have like another one as main RGB alone.

Register or login to create to post a reply.