Harnessing Dither, Drizzle, and Deconvolution for Greater Detail and Resolution [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Steeve Body · ... · 24 · 1244 · 15

bsteeve 10.80
· 
·  9 likes
In this post, I aim to provide an exploration of how the dither, drizzle, and deconvolution techniques, coupled with BlurXterminator (BXT), can be utilized to boost the level of detail and increase resolution in astronomical imaging. 

Recently, I've embarked on a series of experiments, merging drizzle with BXT for my images, and the results have been intriguing, to say the least. I am eager to share these insights with the wider astrophotography community. When Russell Croman confirmed in his latest Astro Imaging Channel discussion that combining dithering and drizzling notably amplifies BXT's performance, particularly concerning intricate details, I felt a sense of relief and that I wasn’t going crazy after all!

The superior level of detail achieved by my 750mm refractor thanks to these tools and techniques never cease to amaze me since you would traditionally requiring a far higher resolution instrument to get these results.

Inspired by these findings, I ventured into testing various drizzle factors to assess their impact on my workflow, given that 2x drizzle leads to significantly larger images. The critical question was: Is the added effort truly worthwhile on my system that has a resolution of 1.05arc/px?

Russell had previously suggested that a well-sampled system wouldn't gain much from 2x drizzle over 1x, as it wouldn't necessarily produce additional detail.

My curiosity piqued, I set out on an experiment to test this claim and discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that 2x drizzle indeed enhanced the quality of my images. This improved detail remained somewhat intact even when the resolution was downscaled to native for final publication, although caution is advised when handling the image's size reduction and resampling. I  believe that the difference is not negligible and thus worth sharing with everyone.

Here is my latest image of the Southern Tadpoles where I applied this technique. I will use this as a case study for the purpose of this post

NGC 3572 and the Southern Tadpoles

Find also the original unstreched stacked HA FITS frames with BXT applied to you can see the difference for yourself. Only BXT was pplied and no other processing, not even background extraction : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WoF2fSIx6ZH_stSVNT5N4xGI1G4m8Pud?usp=share_link

Below, you'll see a direct comparison between 2x, 1x dither, and no dither without BXT applied zoomed in extremely close on one of the tadpole

From left to right: dither 2x, dither 1x, no dither

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.03.03 am.png

And now the same image, but with BXT applied. 

From left to right: dither 2x with BXT, dither 1x with BXT , no dither with BXT
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.05.43 am.png
(Please note that my original image had an average FHMW of 2.5. I left the Automatic PSF unchecked. I used a PSF Diameter of 2.5 on the drizzle 1x and no drizzle image with a sharper non-stellar factor of 0.7 and no stellar adjustment, and a PSF Diameter of 5 was applied for the drizzle 2x image.)

The increased resolution and detail are clear in the drizzle 2x image and somewhat more subtle in the drizzle 1x image. But how does this compare when the 2x image is reduced back to its original resolution?

Here is a little preview showing details that were almost invisible in the drizzle 1x image that became clearly visible the the drizzle 2x image and still visible in the drizzle 2x resampled to its original size  using the Bilinear algorithm in Photoshop

From left to right: dither 2x with BXT, dither 2x  with BXT resampled to original size, dither 1x with BXT
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.42.07 am.png

Resampling is necessary when reducing an image by 50%, which can significantly affect the final result. Therefore, I compared all the different algorithms available in Photoshop for this purpose.In the images below, you will see the drizzle 2x image on the left, the resampled drizzle 2x image (reduced back to its original resolution) in the middle, and the drizzle 1x image on the right.Among all these different algorithms, the Bilinear version provided the smoothest results to my eyes. The process also resolved a greater amount of fine detail compared to the drizzle 1x version, further cementing my preference for the 2x drizzle method.

Bicubic Sharper

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.22.07 am.png

Preserve detail 2.0
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.24.59 am.png

Bicubic (Smooth Gradient)

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.28.06 am.png

Nearest Neighbor (Hard Edge)
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 9.37.48 am.png

Bilinear

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 8.34.05 am.png
Supro 3.81
· 
·  1 like
Steeve, I love this approach. It's definitely worth the time and thanks for sharing it with us. 

I do remember Russ mentioned at NEAIC that BXT does best on undersampled data. I assume that's pretty much what you accomplish with the 2x drizzle, no? (I could be confusing this aspect)
jhayes_tucson 22.40
· 
·  2 likes
Nick Grundy:
Steeve, I love this approach. It's definitely worth the time and thanks for sharing it with us. 

I do remember Russ mentioned at NEAIC that BXT does best on undersampled data. I assume that's pretty much what you accomplish with the 2x drizzle, no? (I could be confusing this aspect)

2x drizzle over-samples the image.

Dithering typically adds so little additional information that I suspect that you'll get the exact same results if you simply use an interpolated image sampled at twice the rate of the original, which is computationally far simpler than dithering. 

John
bsteeve 10.80
· 
John Hayes:
Nick Grundy:

2x drizzle over-samples the image.

Dithering typically adds so little additional information that I suspect that you'll get the exact same results if you simply use an interpolated image sampled at twice the rate of the original, which is computationally far simpler than dithering. 

John

Hi John.

Thanks for chiming in on this. 

i invite you to watch Russell talking about BXt and drizzle combination https://www.youtube.com/live/5_Dg7bYu-E8?feature=share. Check at around 1h13 min. Drizzle + BXT definitely seem to work very nicely together. I’ll check interpolation at 2x and report back
whwang 11.57
· 
·  3 likes
One thing that you forgot to test is to first upsample the subs by 2x and then do a non-drizzle stack, and then also a BXT.

Drizzle works the best on under-sampled subs that come from an old-school CCD with small photosites (like those on the old Hubble, which is why drizzle was invented) without microlenses. It also works on under-sampled subs taken with modern CMOS (with nearly 100% microlens covering fraction), but the effect is much less dramatic.  I think this difference (photosite size) is one of the reasons why recently people start to complain that drizzle is not very effective: the cameras are different now.

On well-sampled subs, drizzle has very little real effects.  It may appear to still give you a higher resolution than well sampled, un-drizzled stacks. But probably 90% of the effect is just an illusion that can be achieved by simply up-sampling the subs and then stacking.
Edited ...
jhayes_tucson 22.40
· 
·  1 like
Yeah, I hear what Russ is saying, but as I said, under most circumstance (like under all but the VERY best atmospheric conditions) any additional information that comes from drizzling falls somewhere very close to zero.  If it does make a significant difference, that would concern me.  That would mean that almost ANYTHING could cause noticeable swings in the output.  I'll bet that simply increasing the sampling by a factor of two might change things as much as drizzling simply based on the fact that there is virtually no difference in the information content in either case.  Remember that drizzling was developed for Hubble data where you actually can extract addition information by drizzling dithered data simply due to the fact that it's a diffraction limited system operating in a vacuum.

I'll look forward to hearing what you find...

John
bsteeve 10.80
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
One thing that you forgot to test is to first upsample the subs by 2x and then do a non-drizzle stack, and then also a BXT.

Drizzle works the best on under-sampled subs that come from an old-school CCD with small photosites (like those on the old Hubble, which is why drizzle was invented) without microlenses. It also works on under-sampled subs taken with modern CMOS (with nearly 100% microlens covering fraction), but the effect is much less dramatic.  On well-sampled subs, it has very little real effects.  It may appear to still give you a higher resolution than well sampled, un-drizzled stacks. But probably 90% of the effect is just an illusion that can be achieved by simply up-sampling the subs and then stacking.

I do have drizzle 2x, 1x and no drizzle as separate stacks without bxt and with bxt. This are the first two images I posted. Is that what you mean…?

you may be correct about the upsampling effect however I also recommend you watch the video I posted in the post above and check Russell showcasing the effect.
Edited ...
whwang 11.57
· 
·  1 like
Steeve Body:
I do have drizzle 2x, 1x and no drizzle as separate stacks without bxt and with bxt. This are the first two images I posted. Is that what you mean…?

No.  Not what I meant.  I meant first 2x up-sample the subs, and then do a regular stack of those up-sampled subs without any drizzling involved.  Stack and then a 2x upsample will be less effective.

I did watch Russ' video, and nothing contradicts with what I said.
bsteeve 10.80
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
Steeve Body:

No.  Not what I meant.  I meant first 2x up-sample the subs, and then do a regular stack of those up-sampled subs without any drizzling involved.  Stack and then a 2x upsample will be less effective.

Got you. Is there a module in Pixinsight that allows me to upsample all subs easily? I have always done that with photoshop…
bsteeve 10.80
· 
John Hayes:
Yeah, I hear what Russ is saying, but as I said, under most circumstance (like under all but the VERY best atmospheric conditions) any additional information that comes from drizzling falls somewhere very close to zero.  If it does make a significant difference, that would concern me.  That would mean that almost ANYTHING could cause noticeable swings in the output.  I'll bet that simply increasing the sampling by a factor of two might change things as much as drizzling simply based on the fact that there is virtually no difference in the information content in either case.  Remember that drizzling was developed for Hubble data where you actually can extract addition information by drizzling dithered data simply due to the fact that it's a diffraction limited system operating in a vacuum.

I'll look forward to hearing what you find...

John

Thanks John. That’s exactly why I’m posting this here so I could get peeps like you who really understand this stuff to explain to me what I’m seeing… me I’m a tinkerer who likes to experiment. Could it be because my seeing is not that great (between 2.5 and 3.5 at best) that this is making more of a difference? I do like what I’m seeing though.. even though if it’s only due to upsampling effect.  I’ll test upsampling and stacking and check the difference with drizzling. As an audio mixer I use upsampling a lot on audio material. Especially for equalization as it makes a pretty substantial difference in term of quality of the processing.
whwang 11.57
· 
·  1 like
Steeve Body:
Wei-Hao Wang:
Steeve Body:

Got you. Is there a module in Pixinsight that allows me to upsample all subs easily? I have always done that with photoshop…

Ha!  I am also a Photoshop person.  I think there is an "Integer Resample" function that can do 2x upsampling very fast.  But if you want to quickly do it on many images, you will need to run it on an image container.  I am not the best person to tell you how to do it, because, like you, I am a PS guy.
bsteeve 10.80
· 
·  1 like
Wei-Hao Wang:
Steeve Body:
Wei-Hao Wang:
Steeve Body:

Ha!  I am also a Photoshop person.  I think there is an "Integer Resample" function that can do 2x upsampling very fast.  But if you want to quickly do it on many images, you will need to run it on an image container.  I am not the best person to tell you how to do it, because, like you, I am a PS guy.

Thanks! I only use pixinsight for pre processing… but I know about image containers in PX so I’ll investigate… I’m sure google will come to the rescue…! I’ll post back a comparison once I’m done and see if this effect was mostly upsampling….
Edited ...
bsteeve 10.80
· 
@John Hayes@Wei-Hao Wang  So I did another test were I resampled all the lights using integer resample in Pixinsight at 2x and re-stacked them to compare... and indeed the result are very similar like you both predicted. I still do give a slight edge to the drizzle version as it has smoother gradient and better level of contrast on the real faint detail stuff by really that is debatable at this point. An advantage of the drizzle version would be time saving in the stacking, It took considerably longer to  upsampling the lights and then stack them than just drizzle 2x in WBPP

From left to right: drizzle 2x with BXT, upsampled 2x lights with BXT, drizzle 1x with BXT
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.52.00 am.png
whwang 11.57
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for the test.  Very close to what I expected.

As for speed, my experience is that drizzle is much slower if not including the time to setup the image container. Before I run drizzle, I always first do a normal integration (with drizzle file included) to reject outlier pixels, and then a drizzle integration.  Anyway, there are many details that can be changed and can affect the total execution time.
bsteeve 10.80
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
Thanks for the test.  Very close to what I expected.

As for speed, my experience is that drizzle is much slower if not including the time to setup the image container. Before I run drizzle, I always first do a normal integration (with drizzle file included) to reject outlier pixels, and then a drizzle integration.  Anyway, there are many details that can be changed and can affect the total execution time.

Yeah weird… Me when I use WBPP I set it to max “no compromise”. It does both a drizzle and regular integration at the same time. It took 50min to stack and drizzle all SHO and RGB filters  and here it took 25min just to do Ha with no drizzle…
jhayes_tucson 22.40
· 
·  1 like
Steeve Body:
@John Hayes@Wei-Hao Wang  So I did another test were I resampled all the lights using integer resample in Pixinsight at 2x and re-stacked them to compare... and indeed the result are very similar like you both predicted. I still do give a slight edge to the drizzle version as it has smoother gradient and better level of contrast on the real faint detail stuff by really that is debatable at this point. An advantage of the drizzle version would be time saving in the stacking, It took considerably longer to  upsampling the lights and then stack them than just drizzle 2x in WBPP

From left to right: drizzle 2x with BXT, upsampled 2x lights with BXT, drizzle 1x with BXT

Steeve,
I think that you might not have fully appreciated what I was trying to say—probably because I didn’t make it very clear.  Here’s what I should have said:  Drizzling beyond the seeing limit is functionally equivalent to simply interpolating the data to a higher sampling rate.  When you up-sample using IntegerResample, that’s not what you are doing.  You have to interpolate the image data to a higher sampling rate.  There are a lot of good ways to interpolate the data (using things like spline fitting) but in this case, I think that a simple linear fit will work well to make the point.  So, to do the right comparison, you need to use the Resample tool, which allows different options for interpolating the data.  As Wei-Hao said, an image container is the easiest way to do that on a batch of images.  Image containers are super simple to set up so this is a great opportunity to learn how to use them (if you haven’t already).  I’m not trying to send you back to the drawing board, but I’m pretty certain that the only reason that you see a small difference between the drizzled data and the up-sampled data is because the data wasn’t properly up-sampled.

John
Edited ...
whwang 11.57
· 
·  1 like
Hi John,

Please see if you agree with this.  I think the best way to achieve a 2x resampling is to do it simultaneously with the image registration.  For example, one may use an image that's already 2x up-sampled as the registration reference.  Then register everything to it.  This way, each image would have only undergone one resampling.  If one first 2x up-samples and then registers, or first registers and then 2x up-samples, each image would have undergone two resamplings, which would be less ideal.

Personally I think the difference between Steeve's 2x drizzled and 2x upsampled cases would be even closer if the later is done optimally (not suggesting Steve to do it again though).  However, I expect that the drizzled case would still be better, very very slightly, perhaps so slight that only a very careful analysis can reveal the difference.  In my work flow, drizzle takes so much longer.  I no longer think it is worthwhile for the small improvement it brings (unless the original image is under-sampled, of course).
bsteeve 10.80
· 
John Hayes:
Steeve Body:

Steeve,
I think that you might not have fully appreciated what I was trying to say—probably because I didn’t make it very clear.  Here’s what I should have said:  Drizzling beyond the seeing limit is functionally equivalent to simply interpolating the data to a higher sampling rate.  When you up-sample using IntegerResample, that’s not what you are doing.  You have to interpolate the image data to a higher sampling rate.  There are a lot of good ways to interpolate the data (using things like spline fitting) but in this case, I think that a simple linear fit will work well to make the point.  So, to do the right comparison, you need to use the Resample tool, which allows different options for interpolating the data.  As Wei-Hao said, an image container is the easiest way to do that on a batch of images.  Image containers are super simple to set up so this is a great opportunity to learn how to use them (if you haven’t already).  I’m not trying to send you back to the drawing board, but I’m pretty certain that the only reason that you see a small difference between the drizzled data and the up-sampled data is because the data wasn’t properly up-sampled.

John

John first of all thank you for taking the time to educate me on the matter. I truly appreciate it. I absolutely don't mind going back to the drawing board and re doing these things as I'm learning a lot through doing and it is something I quite enjoy doing anyway.

Now I have done what you have suggested and applied the resample tool with the following settings to all the frames using an image container.

FYI I'm applying the resample to all the light frames as well as the flats and darks... which I'm assuming is the right thing to do.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 2.58.03 pm.png

this is the result I got.

I still favour the drizzled 2x personally as this new looks just a tad soft compared to the drizzle 2x... but now the interpolation algo because a variable and I'm sure I'll be getting slightly different results depending on the settings...

From left to right: drizzle 2x with BXT, upsampled interpolated using bicubic spline 2x lights with BXT, drizzle 1x with BXT

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 3.07.52 pm.png

and for reference the previous one doing interger resample

In saying all of this though you are right in saying that it upscaling effect of drizzling 2x  is what seems to be providing the biggest effect in combination with BXT, and that swapping drizzle for upscaling with interpolation provide the same benefits. So my logic would lead me to conclude that by upsampling the data, BXT has more pixel to work with to increase local contrast and detail in the nebulosity and therefore seem to reveal more details.

Now I've spent a fair amount of time comparing the detail I got in this image to much higher resolution instrument and to my eyes at least the process didn't create details that were not there in first place... so from an ethical point of view I felt ok about using it in my workflow since I saw noticeable improvements. In you opinion do you think this process has merit or am I just fooling myself with snake oil here...?
jhayes_tucson 22.40
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi John,

Please see if you agree with this.  I think the best way to achieve a 2x resampling is to do it simultaneously with the image registration.  For example, one may use an image that's already 2x up-sampled as the registration reference.  Then register everything to it.  This way, each image would have only undergone one resampling.  If one first 2x up-samples and then registers, or first registers and then 2x up-samples, each image would have undergone two resamplings, which would be less ideal.

Personally I think the difference between Steeve's 2x drizzled and 2x upsampled cases would be even closer if the later is done optimally (not suggesting Steve to do it again though).  However, I expect that the drizzled case would still be better, very very slightly, perhaps so slight that only a very careful analysis can reveal the difference.  In my work flow, drizzle takes so much longer.  I no longer think it is worthwhile for the small improvement it brings (unless the original image is under-sampled, of course).

Wei-Hao,
Yes, I completely agree.  Your approach sounds really good!

John
bsteeve 10.80
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi John,

Are you using the WBPP script for stacking or you are doing everything manually? For me as it’s stands using the script and applying 2x drizzle works well for me without too much extra overhead on my MacBook m2 max so I’m probably going to stick to that for now.

Also would you mind clarifying that statement for me so I make sure I got this right “one may use an image that's already 2x up-sampled as the registration reference.  Then register everything to it. This way, each image would have only undergone one resampling”  

Do you mean by that pick a reference frame, upsample it 2x, register all the frames that have not been upsampled yet to it, then upsample all frames after they have been registered and stack that yeah?
Edited ...
Jbis29 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Steeve Body:
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi John,

Are you using the WBPP script for stacking or you are doing everything manually? For me as it’s stands using the script and applying 2x drizzle works well for me without too much extra overhead on my MacBook m2 max so I’m probably going to stick to that for now.

Also would you mind clarifying that statement for me so I make sure I got this right “one may use an image that's already 2x up-sampled as the registration reference.  Then register everything to it. This way, each image would have only undergone one resampling”  

Do you mean by that pick a reference frame, upsample it 2x, register all the frames that have not been upsampled yet to it, then upsample all frames after they have been registered and stack that yeah?

This is an interesting topic. I'm curious if you got it figured out. But yes, choose a reference frame manually. Upsample it. And then use it for aligning. Aligning can be done with either the star alignment tool, or you can select a manual reference file in WBPP.
bsteeve 10.80
· 
·  2 likes
Joseph Biscoe IV:
Steeve Body:
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi John,

This is an interesting topic. I'm curious if you got it figured out. But yes, choose a reference frame manually. Upsample it. And then use it for aligning. Aligning can be done with either the star alignment tool, or you can select a manual reference file in WBPP.

Yes I have done the upsampling test and it is working with pretty much the same results… but that being said  I still just find it easier to hit the drizzle 2x button in WBPP and let it run
Jbis29 1.20
· 
Steeve Body:
Joseph Biscoe IV:
Steeve Body:
Wei-Hao Wang:
Hi John,

Yes I have done the upsampling test and it is working with pretty much the same results… but that being said  I still just find it easier to hit the drizzle 2x button in WBPP and let it run

Ok, well good to know. Thanks for testing. Learned a good bit reading through.
ChuckNovice 4.21
· 
·  1 like
Hello, I find this interresting. I have myself invested many hours playing around with DrizzleIntegration and combining it with BXT to see the outcomes.

One thing I would've loved to see in your experiments is the usage of different Kernel functions in the DrizzleIntegration process. Some of them are very computationally intensive and take very long to process so this is an area that I have yet to fully explore.

"Gaussian and variable shape drizzle kernels (...) can be used to improve resolution of the integrated image. However, these functions tend to require much more and much better dithered data than the standard square and circular kernels to achieve optimal results."

The VarShape/Gaussian kernels tend to allow me to push the resolution of small galaxies a bit further, but looked too artificial with deconvolution when I tried them. Maybe due to the too small number of subframes or maybe that's just how it is...
Edited ...
bsteeve 10.80
· 
·  1 like
Miguel T.:
Hello, I find this interresting. I have myself invested many hours playing around with DrizzleIntegration and combining it with BXT to see the outcomes.

One thing I would've loved to see in your experiments is the usage of different Kernel functions in the DrizzleIntegration process. Some of them are very computationally intensive and take very long to process so this is an area that I have yet to fully explore.

"Gaussian and variable shape drizzle kernels (...) can be used to improve resolution of the integrated image. However, these functions tend to require much more and much better dithered data than the standard square and circular kernels to achieve optimal results."

The VarShape/Gaussian kernels tend to allow me to push the resolution of small galaxies a bit further, but looked too artificial with deconvolution when I tried them. Maybe due to the too small number of subframes or maybe that's just how it is...

Really good question. I have not done the testing myself but I’m part of an astrophotographers group with lots of very clever folks who have tested this and so far these are the recommended settings based on testing:

Drop shrink 0.35
Variable shape 1.5 if you have at least 200+ frames

Square kernel if under 200

the default drop shrink is 0.9 which really should be the default setting at all…
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.