SPCC filter choices for DSLR cameras [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · George Hatfield · ... · 2 · 153 · 2

ghatfield 1.51
· 
Lately, I have been processing a number of images from Wei Hao Wang's image repository (https://www.astrobin.com/mjhcd5/).   All of the images have been from various large-format DSLR cameras, such as the Nikon D800, Canon 5DMkii, and the Fujifilm GFX100S.  These cameras have often been modified to improve their sensitivity to Ha.  Aside from the unmodified Canon 5D, there are no filter choices for these cameras in SPCC.   Often, I pick a filter set that seems close to the camera's and which will give me decent-looking linear curves displayed by SPCC.  For example, for the modified GFX100S, I just used Astrodon E filters, which gave the curves shown in the attached file.  Other filters, such as those for the Sony Color Sensor, showed curves that drastically departed from linearity.   The white balance factors for both these filter sets are similar, and to my eye, the two color-calibrated images are remarkably similar.  

Questions...

1.  What are others doing when they select filters for color cameras that are not specified in SPCC?  
2.  Does the filter choice significantly impact the color calibration?

astradon e filters.jpgsony color sensor.jpg
WhooptieDo 8.78
· 
For OSC data, you should just use UV/IR cut option.
andreatax 7.56
· 
George Hatfield:
1. What are others doing when they select filters for color cameras that are not specified in SPCC?
2. Does the filter choice significantly impact the color calibration?

1. PCC or CC
2. No

Register or login to create to post a reply.