Best solution for fighting dew in a Takahashi E-160ed Takahashi Epsilon-160ED · Rafael Sampaio · ... · 12 · 216 · 0

rafaelss123 1.20
· 
Hi everyone,

To avoid dew in a Takahashi E-160ed, would you prefer to use a rigid fiber carbon dew shied along with a dew heater, or a heated flexible dew shield like the ones from AstroZap ?
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Rafael Sampaio:
Hi everyone,

To avoid dew in a Takahashi E-160ed, would you prefer to use a rigid fiber carbon dew shied along with a dew heater, or a heated flexible dew shield like the ones from AstroZap ?

I use the heated AstroZap and it works great. I have to crank the agressiveness to 10 on my PPBU2 during the more humid months here in Virginia, but the heated AstroZap does the job.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  1 like
Heated one, but order it from them made at 10". Then it won't protrude too far into the light path.
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  2 likes
Bill Long - Dark Matters Astrophotography:
Heated one, but order it from them made at 10". Then it won't protrude too far into the light path.

AstroZap has changed the default length to 10” for the Epsi dew shields, so should be good to order straight up.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  1 like
Jeff Ridder:
Bill Long - Dark Matters Astrophotography:

AstroZap has changed the default length to 10” for the Epsi dew shields, so should be good to order straight up.

Hey that's awesome. Good to know!
rafaelss123 1.20
· 
Thanks everyone! 

So, does the Astrozap heated shield works with any 12v dew heater output, like the Eagle and  Pegasus Astro ones?
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Rafael Sampaio:
Thanks everyone! 

So, does the Astrozap heated shield works with any 12v dew heater output, like the Eagle and  Pegasus Astro ones?

Yes. I use it with my Pegasus Powerbox Ultimate v2. Just have to crank the aggressiveness up a bit in my environment, but it’s fine.
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  1 like
If you get a PPBUv2, I recommend this doodad: https://www.overcastobservatory.com/product/upbv2-piggyback-cable-management-system/

Those dew heater cables are annoyingly long, and this gives you a way to manage them, along with any other long cables.
syxbach 1.51
· 
Rafael Sampaio:
Hi everyone,

If you want to run remote, better to use a rigid carbon dew shield so that you can add a motorized cap
rafaelss123 1.20
· 
Yuexiao Shen:
Rafael Sampaio:
Hi everyone,

If you want to run remote, better to use a rigid carbon dew shield so that you can add a motorized cap

Good point! Thanks!
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  1 like
I’m deploying mine remote with the AstroZap and not concerned with a cap. Yeah, it might accumulate a bit more dust, but that’s kind of inevitable. Not concerned with a flat panel either since sky flats are super easy with Voyager and work great.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  1 like
Jeff Ridder:
I’m deploying mine remote with the AstroZap and not concerned with a cap. Yeah, it might accumulate a bit more dust, but that’s kind of inevitable. Not concerned with a flat panel either since sky flats are super easy with Voyager and work great.

Sky flats will correct things with this imaging system that panel flats will not. Similarly, the tube is semi-closed (not being a truss system), so capping it is probably a bad idea while it sits in the observatory with the roof closed. A rear fan should be used no matter what, but capping the front of the scope, IMHO is not a good idea.
Edited ...
syxbach 1.51
· 
The cap is essential in an area where the weather is dusty and insects are active. Nobody wants insects to lay eggs and have families inside scopes. Unless there is someone who can take are of scope from time to time on site

Yuexiao
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.