Why so few Observatory photos? Pictures 'of' Your Home-Built Observatory · Scott Lockwood · ... · 13 · 307 · 2

scott1 5.29
· 
·  1 like
I, being one of the very first to join this group, am disappointed to see so few pictures of observatories and so many of deep sky objects. While the DSO's are very good, this group does not seem to be the place to post them. I was looking for ideas for building an observatory in my yard but am finding very few. Maybe Astrobin is not the place to look for ideas on observatory designs but just for positing DSO images. That being said, I have constructed me back yard observatory, and am in the process of building a second and will post my construction photos soon. Thanks for listening to my rant.I have needed to get that off my chest for some time
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Scott,

because only few users know about this group. That is always the problem with these groups. You have to actively search for - and therefore have an idea what you searching for. That is a vicious circle. 

CS
Rüdiger
udeuterm
· 
·  3 likes
I totally agree Scott, this was not the meaning of this forum! When you look at the first images in this group you will see more of the kind we wanted to see here. If you follow the links you will find several suggestions, I actually added the whole project to my images, from the start to the end. 
Bruce: is it possible to take some images off this group (with notifying the people of course before this action)?
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  4 likes
Hi Scott

I agree.  I started this group to post pictures of observatories so others can share what they did, learn from each other, and propose new ideas for enhancements.  I posted most of mine at the beginning and I see a few others but not much else.  I am not sure why folks are posting just images of DSOs as it would be nice to at least see the home-built observatory from which the images were taken.

Bruce
Edited ...
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  4 likes
Uwe Deutermann:
I totally agree Scott, this was not the meaning of this forum! When you look at the first images in this group you will see more of the kind we wanted to see here. If you follow the links you will find several suggestions, I actually added the whole project to my images, from the start to the end. 
Bruce: is it possible to take some images off this group (with notifying the people of course before this action)?

Good question, Uwe.  Let me investigate if this can be done.
scott1 5.29
· 
·  3 likes
Hi all
Glad to hear I'm not the only one to feel this way. Glad I finally said something.

I'll try to get some of my photos up today.
Scott
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  4 likes
After chatting with Salvatore and thinking about this further, it is possible that some mis-interpreted the intent of this group.  So, in an attempt to rectify this moving forward, I have updated both the title and description of the group.  I hope this helps clarify things and we start to see more photos of home-built observatories.  Also, all of posted DSO images have been removed.
Edited ...
udeuterm
· 
·  2 likes
Thanks Bruce!!!
udeuterm
· 
Hi Bruce @Bruce Donzanti ! There were 2 more night sky images added, hmmmm. Was it difficult to take the other ones off? Did Salvatore need to do this manually? If so then it will be a tough task to keep up with that.
si-cho
· 
·  1 like
Uwe Deutermann:
There were 2 more night sky images added

It seems that people has subscribed a number of groups and they post anything to all of them, not differentiating the topic of the group. 
udeuterm
· 
·  2 likes
Claudio Tenreiro:
Uwe Deutermann:
There were 2 more night sky images added

It seems that people has subscribed a number of groups and they post anything to all of them, not differentiating the topic of the group.

Yes, I fear that this is the case. When I post an image I am always careful to which group I send the image, but I can see that others might be not as diligent.
umasscrew39 12.64
· 
·  2 likes
ugh!!

OK- Salvatore had to manually remove these.  However, I just sent both APers a request to remove them and explained why.  I'll probably only anger them but it is worth a shot.  If that does not work, I am out of ideas because I am not going to keep bugging Salvatore to delete these. 
udeuterm
· 
·  2 likes
Agreed! And I do not think that the 2 people will be angry about it, it will be fine 😊😊.
ScottBadger 7.61
· 
·  8 likes
Just added a photo of my obs, but thought I'd include a couple more here. The roof is 4 removable panels, which aren't too difficult to move around, but in no way automatable. The plus is that the design allows wind protection nearly equivalent to a dome by only removing the necessary panels. The panels run east-west. To help with wind, the sides are high relative to the scope, but have upper sections that fold down when necessary.
128A6821.jpg
And the start of an igloo style attempt, but couldn't figure how to make the dome rotate...... : )
Image00001-edit.jpg

Cheers,
Scott

Register or login to create to post a reply.