Anyone Using Digital Loggers Switch with ITS ASCOM Driver? [Deep Sky] Acquisition techniques · Robert Gillette · ... · 8 · 196 · 1

BobGillette 6.26
· 
Definitely an obscure question.

The Digital Loggers Web Pro switch is a standard device for powering a remote observatory.

I use one in mine. I can power it on and off manually over Chrome Remote Desktop, but I want my automation software -- CCDAutoPilot -- to automatically power the obs down at the end of imaging, while I presumably sleep.

ASCOM promotes a driver for this switch but reveals nothing about its function: https://www.ascom-standards.org/Downloads/SwitchDrivers.htm

Presumably this driver allows one to use observatory automation software to control power automatically.

Is anyone using it?  If so, I need to know how. With a script? A command line?  Just directly linked to your automation software? 

I’ve asked on the ASCOM-Talk group forum twice now, with no response.

Thanks for any hints,

Bob
Edited ...
carted2 3.58
· 
I know you are using CCDAutoPilot so I am not sure if they have an equipment tab for switches like the Pegasus Astro PowerBox. Using NINA, they have an equipment tab for Switches and I can connect to the Digital Loggers switch for my telescope in New Mexico (I'll attach a picture). You have to configure the switch to allow plain text logins if I recall correctly. The ASCOM documentation had some info about setting up the switch to allow connection using ASCOM. 

I actually never use this functionality within NINA to control the Digital Loggers switch. I also have a Ultimate Powerbox v2 mounted on the scope and I use NINA to control it on the Switch screen. NINA doesn't allow me to connect to two different switches at the same time so I only connect to the Pegasus Astro switch.

The Advanced Sequencer in NINA allows me to start my sequence well before nightfall and turn on the camera and all my gear at the appropriate time and then connect to them in NINA. Its really convenient! I have never used CCDAutoPilot so I am unsure if they offer the same functionality.

DLSwitch.jpg
BobGillette 6.26
· 
Thank you, Daniel. This is very helpful.  I do, however, hope to find someone who has used the ASCOM driver for automated control.

Best, Bob
OregonAstronomer 2.81
· 
·  1 like
Daniel Carter:
NINA doesn't allow me to connect to two different switches at the same time

But thee is an alternative! Check this out: https://github.com/jlecomte/ascom-switch-hub

I have multiple switches for dual set-up imaging all accessible from a single NINA switch interface. Works beautifully. I can control the Pegasus Powerbox, two different scope covers and the Digital Loggers switch all at the same time.

Arnie
carted2 3.58
· 
Arnie:
Daniel Carter:

But thee is an alternative! Check this out: https://github.com/jlecomte/ascom-switch-hub

I have multiple switches for dual set-up imaging all accessible from a single NINA switch interface. Works beautifully. I can control the Pegasus Powerbox, two different scope covers and the Digital Loggers switch all at the same time.

Arnie

Wow, I'll have to check that out. Thanks, @Arnie! Normally, I leave the mount on and never shut it down. I've ready on the Software Bisque forums that there are many users of the MX+ or ME mounts that leave them on 24/7. I've had mine running since October with no issues. Hopefully it stays that way once it starts getting hot this summer in New Mexico. If I can control the mount power using ASCOM I may start shutting it down after imaging runs.
CCDnOES 5.21
· 
·  1 like
Arnie:

I think this is the same one  and it is great...

DSG Switch Hub
bluemoon737 3.61
· 
Daniel Carter:
Arnie:
Daniel Carter:

Arnie

Wow, I'll have to check that out. Thanks, @Arnie! Normally, I leave the mount on and never shut it down. I've ready on the Software Bisque forums that there are many users of the MX+ or ME mounts that leave them on 24/7. I've had mine running since October with no issues. Hopefully it stays that way once it starts getting hot this summer in New Mexico. If I can control the mount power using ASCOM I may start shutting it down after imaging runs.

Big advantage to leaving a Paramount on is it eliminates the need to home on start up (not necessary if you have an encoder mount). So something to consider in regards to deciding to turn the mount off or not.
carted2 3.58
· 
·  1 like
Jeffery Richards:
Daniel Carter:
Arnie:
Daniel Carter:

Arnie

Big advantage to leaving a Paramount on is it eliminates the need to home on start up (not necessary if you have an encoder mount). So something to consider in regards to deciding to turn the mount off or not.

I am having to home about every 3 or 4 weeks anyways with my MX+. For some reason there is drift in the system somewhere (I've mentioned this to SB and there was a forum post about it not long ago). My polar alignment is excellent (according to TSX and it is permanently mounted). I have a T-Point model with about 200 or so points. After several weeks, my pointing accuracy starts to degrade on the first slew to target and continues to degrade. If I home the mount, the pointing accuracy goes back to where is should be.

So long story short - I have to home my mount periodically anyways if I power off the mount or not. The roof where my mount is located is normally opened about an hour before astronomical dusk so I have plenty of time to home the mount and get everything prepared. With NINA, I can have the sequencer home the mount in the startup section well before I have to start imaging. So I am definitely going to investigate the ASCOM solution to connect multiple switches to NINA!
OregonAstronomer 2.81
· 
Bill McLaughlin:
Arnie:

I think this is the same one  and it is great...

DSG Switch Hub

Yes! That's where I got it from.

Register or login to create to post a reply.