Recommend Antlia Quad Band Anti-Light Pollution Filter for a Bortle 8/9 Backyard? Antlia Quad Band Anti-Light Pollution Filter 2" Mounted · Vinny Vent · ... · 26 · 669 · 14

daveshow07 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Vinny,

Lots of good suggestions here already, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in as well. I'm in a Bortle 5-6 area, but if I image south, its more like Bortle 4, and If I image North it's more like Bortle 7.

I've got the WO Redcat 51 on an EQ6R Mount with the 533MC Pro. I waffled on whether I should even use filters where I am, but targets to the North certainly need it, and I thought it might help with some gradients. After much consideration of what's out there, including the popular Optolong L-Extreme/Pro etc., I ultimately landed between the Antlia Quad-Band and the Antlia Tri-Band filters, because I wanted more natural star color, and didn't feel I wanted or needed as extreme filtering for what I intended to use more as an "all-purpose" filter. 

The 533MC Pro does not have a built in UV/IR Cut Protective glass like the 2600MC Pro/Duo does, and a few posts down the thread in this CN forum post, the vendor (LYAstro) recommended using the Tri-Band with cameras that have the UV/IR protective glass, and the Quad-Band on cameras without, since there are some instances where the NIR pass of the Quadband can be advantageous for imaging. However, NIR has often been associated with star bloat in images, and for my purposes, I though it would be great to control that as well, so I ultimately chose the Antlia Tri-Band to pair with my 533MC Pro. This post with a comparison image on CN helped me decide that was the route I wanted to go.

I've been very happy with the results so far... the only thing lacking seems to be my own skills in capture and processing, but I really feel that it has drastically improved my images due to the enhanced SNR, even in a mild light pollution environment where I am. For a comparison, I went ahead and captured the Pacman Nebula with and without the filter on the same night, for the same amount of imaging time, so get a proper comparison. I've been very pleased with it!

CS
-David
DavesView 1.20
· 
Vinny Vent:
I don’t think I’ve read about not using the ultimate above B7 but I’m brand new at this so you could very well be right. My understanding was the higher the LP the narrower the band was more desirable but meant you needed to spend more time on the target.

I found where I read about this and it was on the AgenaAstro site concerning the L-eXtreme. Too much info around for my old mind to keep properly sorted.

Register or login to create to post a reply.