Setting up the E160-ED for Full Frame Imaging Takahashi Epsilon-160ED · Bill Long - Dark Matters Astrophotography · ... · 1450 · 50955 · 338

Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
·  1 like
Jeff Ridder:
Chris White- Overcast Observatory:

Last week, jeff told me that initial orders would be shipping in July.

I saw on Optec groups.io that Jeff said Hercules should be shipping early to mid-June.

That would be great. I'd go with whichever estimate is most recent.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
For all you 2600mx / 6200mx camera users. What is the lowest FWHM you got with the 160ED (in arc seconds)?
Edited ...
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
For all you 2600mx / 6200mx camera users. What is the lowest FWHM you got with the 160ED (in arc seconds)?

My skies are not that great, but a few weeks ago I had a short window with FWHM down to 2".  I was hoping to get one below 2" but didn't.  I normally see around 2.8 to 3".
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:

My skies are not that great, but a few weeks ago I had a short window with FWHM down to 2".  I was hoping to get one below 2" but didn't.  I normally see around 2.8 to 3".

That's excellent! 2" at that image scale is impressive. 

I decided to take a plunge and ordered the 160ed this morning.  I already have an Opetec leo focuser, but I need to get the saddle to put it on from Opetec. 

Has anyone tried the Wanderer Astro motorized flat panel? I was looking at the 190mm option to make sure it covers the OTA. 

https://astrohutech.store/product/wandererastro-flat-panel-v4-ec/

I am trying to get this setup hopefully ready for remote imaging.
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  2 likes
I am adding a link to a thread on the use of the OCAL for collimation. I have had great success with this unit, as have a few others. 

Using OCAL to Collimate Epsilons
Supro 3.81
· 
All, this might be obvious, but I've noticed many of you with active cooling on the end of the epsilon. What's this for? I get the idea of allowing the mirror to equalize with ambient temperature (I think), but how do you know when that has happened? Do you run the fan during imaging? or for other reasons?
· 
·  1 like
Nick Grundy:
All, this might be obvious, but I've noticed many of you with active cooling on the end of the epsilon. What's this for? I get the idea of allowing the mirror to equalize with ambient temperature (I think), but how do you know when that has happened? Do you run the fan during imaging? or for other reasons?

You need to disrupt tube currents. If you don't you will get teardrop shaped stars.

Run it all the time.
Edited ...
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  2 likes
Nick Grundy:

You need to disrupt tube currents. If you don't you will get teardrop shaped stars.

Run it all the time.

Just don't try it on the 130. The rubber sheets that you see from the back actually support the mirror and there is no place for the air to flow into the tube. You would have to cut holes in the side of the OTA - not something I would want to try. 
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  1 like
Takahashi informed me they got my Epsilonn160ed. I will be picking it up. Hopefully they have it collimated and don't need to do any major collimation to it. Unfortunately the 1.5x extender is still on back order.
Eteocles 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
Takahashi informed me they got my Epsilonn160ed. I will be picking it up. Hopefully they have it collimated and don't need to do any major collimation to it. Unfortunately the 1.5x extender is still on back order.

They will collimate it before shipping. My advice would be not to make any adjustments until you are sure something is off. When you do need to adjust it, read up on all the literature first and take care to do only small adjustments.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  1 like
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

They will collimate it before shipping. My advice would be not to make any adjustments until you are sure something is off. When you do need to adjust it, read up on all the literature first and take care to do only small adjustments.

I will be driving to pick it up directly from Takahashi America, to avoid shipping and handling. They are only about two hours away.

I will test everything at stock with the stock focuser first before I do anything. I will just put my imaging train on the corrector and start imaging first, and attach and EAF to the stock focuser, before I even try slapping the opetec leo focuser on.
Edited ...
Eteocles 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

I will be driving to pick it up directly from Takahashi America, to avoid shipping and handling. They are only about two hours away.

I will test everything at stock with the stock focuser first before I do anything. I will just put my imaging train on the corrector and start imaging first, and attach and EAF to the stock focuser, before I even try slapping the opetec leo focuser on.

Good plan 🙂

Switching out focusers will require significant adjustment once the new focuser installed but if you’re prepared you should be good. 

Does Optec give instructions for removing the stock and installing the Leo?
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Good plan 🙂

Switching out focusers will require significant adjustment once the new focuser installed but if you’re prepared you should be good. 

The best description of Leo replacement is at the beginning of this thread.
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Good plan 🙂

Indeed. In the case of my 130 the hole position on the OTA must have been off a bit because it  did not allow lining the focuser up on the center of the secondary w/o using the tip/tilt adjustment on the LEO mount. Easy enough to do but takes a little time.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  2 likes
Got the 160Ed. I did not install the Optec focuser. Did not touch factory collimation. I transported it personally from Takahashi America and was very gentle so hopefully it held the collimation. I am waiting on the 1.5x extender and 3D printed part for the rear fan. I think the weight of everything is under 28lbs, but I will have to weigh things. 

I installed the EAF on the stock focuser first. Going to see how that works before I attempt using my Opetec Leo focuser. I don't have the extender and I like to use an OAG-L. 

I am getting a precise parts custom adapter made measuring exactly 7.2mm to bolt directly on the OAG-L without having to use the tilt plate. That will give me a backfocus of exactly 57.2mm taking into account the 3mm Chroma filters. 

Anxious to see how all this performs on the AM5. It is very front heavy which is worrying me a little bit. First light wil not be for at least another 10 days unless I am really lucky and tonight's forcast improves. 

TON28wK.jpg
Edited ...
jmarinotero 3.61
· 
·  2 likes
Ashraf AbuSara:
Got the 160Ed. I did not install the stock focuser. Did not touch factory collimation. I transported it personally from Takahashi America and was very gentle so hopefully it held the collimation. I am waiting on the 1.5x extender and 3D printed part for the rear fan. I think the weight of everything is under 28lbs, but I will have to weigh things. 

I installed the EAF on the stock focuser first. Going to see how that works before I attempt using my Opetec Leo focuser. I don't have the extender and I like to use an OAG-L. 

I am getting a precise parts custom adapter made measuring exactly 7.2mm to bolt directly on the OAG-L without having to use the tilt plate. That will give me a backfocus of exactly 57.2mm taking into account the 3mm Chroma filters. 

Anxious to see how all this performs on the AM5. It is very front heavy which is worrying me a little bit. First light wil not be for at least another 10 days unless I am really lucky and tonight's forcast improves. 

TON28wK.jpg

What flat panel is that? Is it a Wanderer? I am interested to know how it works for you for flat frames (I am assuming it lights up, not sure if it's only a cover)
Supro 3.81
· 
Ashraf AbuSara:
Got the 160Ed. I did not install the Optec focuser. Did not touch factory collimation. I transported it personally from Takahashi America and was very gentle so hopefully it held the collimation. I am waiting on the 1.5x extender and 3D printed part for the rear fan. I think the weight of everything is under 28lbs, but I will have to weigh things. 

TON28wK.jpg

looks pretty awesome. I like the camera mounted low, but couldn't make it work with the weight balance (heavy in front). I ended up using a long heavy losmandy plate which shifted the center back a little further, but still wound up with the camera on top. 

Did you go with the 6200? 

also very interested in your flat panel setup. The rings and plates look great, but probably doesn't help much with that frontside center of gravity.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Ashraf AbuSara:
Got the 160Ed. I did not install the stock focuser. Did not touch factory collimation. I transported it personally from Takahashi America and was very gentle so hopefully it held the collimation. I am waiting on the 1.5x extender and 3D printed part for the rear fan. I think the weight of everything is under 28lbs, but I will have to weigh things. 

What flat panel is that? Is it a Wanderer? I am interested to know how it works for you for flat frames (I am assuming it lights up, not sure if it's only a cover)

Yes it is the WandererCover V4-EC. 240mm version which is a motorized cover and a flat panel. What I liked about it is it is very light and easy to install. I will take some flat frames with it tongiht.

Nick Grundy:
Ashraf AbuSara:

looks pretty awesome. I like the camera mounted low, but couldn't make it work with the weight balance (heavy in front). I ended up using a long heavy losmandy plate which shifted the center back a little further, but still wound up with the camera on top. 

Did you go with the 6200? 

also very interested in your flat panel setup. The rings and plates look great, but probably doesn't help much with that frontside center of gravity.

Thanks Nick! Yea I am curious how the harmonic drive handles the unbalanced weight. I will be putting a counterweight bar when testing on the tripod, but it will eventually be mounted remotely on a permenant pier. 

I already have a 6200mm pro and a set of 50mm Chroma LRGB filters, and 8nm Ha / 5nm Sii/Oiii filters that I will test with this setup. It is a very light flat panel which is what I liked about it. I think about 2lbs if I remember correctly when I weighted it.
Supro 3.81
· 
Ashraf AbuSara:
I already have a 6200mm pro and a set of 50mm Chroma LRGB filters, and 8nm Ha / 5nm Sii/Oiii filters that I will test with this setup. It is a very light flat panel which is what I liked about it. I think about 2lbs if I remember correctly when I weighted it.

How'd you work it out on the end of the dew shield? is that a custom design?

I've been considering remote for my epsilon, but not a fan of doing without an automated dust cover/flat field.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Nick Grundy:
Ashraf AbuSara:

How'd you work it out on the end of the dew shield? is that a custom design?

I've been considering remote for my epsilon, but not a fan of doing without an automated dust cover/flat field.

No it is just standard design. It is slightly oversized. I got the 240mm version which fits over the dew shield perfectly. It is fitted with two wide zip ties that go through slots specifically for this on the panel motor housing. I still have to test it to see how secure it is or if it moves. If felt very secure to me but need to see how it does when it is pointing in different directions.
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

I recall reading somewhere that you can buy the Epsilon with the Leo saddle already installed directly from Tak America - which would avoid any collimation issues as they'd do it for you...
dunk 1.81
· 
Bill McLaughlin:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Good plan 🙂

Indeed. In the case of my 130 the hole position on the OTA must have been off a bit because it  did not allow lining the focuser up on the center of the secondary w/o using the tip/tilt adjustment on the LEO mount. Easy enough to do but takes a little time.

In my case (also 130) the holes in the saddle were in completely the wrong place and I had to wait for 6mths for Optec to create a new saddle for me (I sent them measurements). So it looks like there are at least 2 versions of the 130 saddle out there (mine is only a couple of years old).
aabosarah 7.12
· 
·  2 likes
Dunk:
Ashraf AbuSara:
Dan:
Ashraf AbuSara:

I recall reading somewhere that you can buy the Epsilon with the Leo saddle already installed directly from Tak America - which would avoid any collimation issues as they'd do it for you...

I already own a Leo Focuser that I got from a second hand OTA that I was not using, so it would have been wasted if I had to buy another one from Takahashi. Sooner or later I am going to have to collimate it anyway.
dunk 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Ashraf AbuSara:
I already own a Leo Focuser that I got from a second hand OTA that I was not using, so it would have been wasted if I had to buy another one from Takahashi. Sooner or later I am going to have to collimate it anyway.

Yes, but Tak could have installed just the saddle - you can buy that part stand-alone.

All good though - its not hard to install or collimate and as you say you have to learn sometime!

Good luck and CS.

d.
aabosarah 7.12
· 
Dunk:
Ashraf AbuSara:

Yes, but Tak could have installed just the saddle - you can buy that part stand-alone.

All good though - its not hard to install or collimate and as you say you have to learn sometime!

Good luck and CS.

d.

Good point. Too bad I already bought the saddle from Optec ahead of time. Thanks!

Register or login to create to post a reply.