Tracking ISS with Star Adventurer 2i? Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i - WiFi · Alien_Enthusiast · ... · 10 · 198 · 0

Alien_Enthusiast 2.86
· 
I've read some documentation on SA2i and turns out it's a lot more customizable than I could ever imagine.

Now comes the silly question - can you theoretically run code on it that would make it track at ISS rate? 

Is the hardware even capable of something like that?
a26413768 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I don't think the SA2i supports a slew rate high enough to track the ISS, not to mention a variable slew rate while tracking.
Edited ...
Alien_Enthusiast 2.86
· 
I wonder if there is any documentation on the max speed at which SA2i can track... Maybe I should email the support?
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
you can try
Alien_Enthusiast 2.86
· 
·  1 like
Ok I contacted Sky Watcher support - they said the maximum tracking rate of SA2i is 12 times the sidereal rate 

ISS is around 16 times the sidereal 

Close one 

Or maybe it is possible to somehow tweak SA2i to increase the speed...

Ill keep looking into this
a26413768 0.00
· 
·  2 likes

The ISS can move at a speed of up to 1 degree per second, which is about 240 times faster than the sidereal rate.
Alien_Enthusiast 2.86
· 
·  1 like
Shun-Chia yang:

The ISS can move at a speed of up to 1 degree per second, which is about 240 times faster than the sidereal rate.

This is what ChatGPT 4 told me -  I guess AI bot got caught lackin

"The International Space Station (ISS) travels much faster across the sky than the apparent motion of stars caused by Earth's rotation. Specifically, the ISS orbits Earth approximately every 90 minutes, completing a full 360 degrees. In contrast, the Earth rotates 360 degrees relative to the stars in about 24 hours. Therefore, the ISS moves across the sky at a much faster rate, approximately 16 times faster than the stars move due to Earth's rotation. This speed allows the ISS to be seen crossing the sky quickly, typically visible as a bright, fast-moving object for a few minutes."
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
don't listen to ChatGPT

I told you before it lies, or probably just is dumb

Learn from real people

or just Skywatcher Support; they should know what they're talking about
Edited ...
a26413768 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
If you are at the center of Earth, then using 360 degrees/90 minutes as the ISS's angular speed is okay. However, we are at the surface of Earth, so the angular speed will be much faster when the ISS approaches us. 

Also, Iss will not move along right ascension. It is not just like tracking moon or sun. It is more like tracking airplane.
afd33 4.65
· 
·  2 likes
Shun-Chia yang:
If you are at the center of Earth, then using 360 degrees/90 minutes as the ISS's angular speed is okay. However, we are at the surface of Earth, so the angular speed will be much faster when the ISS approaches us. 

Also, Iss will not move along right ascension. It is not just like tracking moon or sun. It is more like tracking airplane.

This is the important bit right here. It moves in both RA and DEC. There's no way to get the 2i to track the ISS.
Alien_Enthusiast 2.86
· 
·  1 like
Ok you guys convinced me, no ISS for me 

P.S.: Messierman got serious beef with AI bots 

Register or login to create to post a reply.