Pixinsight solving error, I'm hitting a wall here Pleiades Astrophoto PixInsight · Jens · ... · 38 · 1177 · 6

jmurphy18 0.00
· 
If you want to dive deep into Pixinsight check out Adam Block. He is good & technical
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
Hi Jens,
I haven't read your thread in fine detail, but I had similar issues with solving - albeit it was in an earlier version of PI and the issue has since been fixed - but it night be worth mentioning ...

If you stack with drizzle, PI used to get the image scale wrong by a multiple of the drizzle factor, so stacked images would never solve.

I suggest checking your image scale to make certain it is correct - that might provide a clue.

Cheers,

Gary
Edited ...
kupcsika 0.00
· 
I usually go for the Online Catalog in the model paramaters of Image Solver whenever I have issues, so far it worked nicely.
olnilsa 0.00
· 
Jens:
Every single time. I feel like I change every parameter that can be changed in the solver it always comes out to this.

Look at your date in the Image Parameters: You have chosen a date in the future. Correct this and try again!
Wombatclay 0.00
· 
Solved this issue by running the stacked image thru Astronmetry which gave me the true pixel/arc sec, then the image was resolved right away when I put that number into image solver in PixInsight. Drizzle affects the pixel per arc second.
Edited ...
Carlow_Astronomy_Club 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I always use the search feature when using the script and have it return the correct coordinate data. Even if I crop down an image it will always plate solve it for me. 
As other posters have stated once you have solved your images you can save them and then use mosaic by coordinates and gradient merge mosaic. 
just my 2 cents. Clear skies.
mtmcmikey 0.00
· 
Carlow Astronomy Club:
I always use the search feature when using the script and have it return the correct coordinate data. Even if I crop down an image it will always plate solve it for me. 
As other posters have stated once you have solved your images you can save them and then use mosaic by coordinates and gradient merge mosaic. 
just my 2 cents. Clear skies.

This! The search feature finds my target and then PI plate solves for me every time. Cropping and Drizzling have not negatively impacted plate solving since I started using the Search button.
olnilsa 0.00
· 
Look at your date in the Image Parameters: You have chosen a date in the future. Correct this and try again!
Jeroe 3.61
· 
Ok so I tried some stuff yesterday.
I couldn't get Astap nor Wbpp to work so I stuck with DSS.
What worked for now was using the online catalogue instead of the local catalouges which indicates that the problem might be there.
Now what is weird now is that it created a XISF file instead of a fit file after Plate solving. But it seems to be quite similar to a fits file.

I was finally able to go one step further and use Mosaic by coordinates and got to the stitching but it came out suuper janky. I still have to work on some stuff to get it right. 

The Problem with this is, That I didn't really fix the problem and didn't really learn anything from this. I just found a way to get around it. 

@Carlow Astronomy Club I did use the search feature to get the coordinates, that shouldn't be the problem.

I didn't drizzle nor cropped the image so this shouldn't be the problem either.
For the Pixel scale I mostly used the focal lenght instead of the resolution and the pixelsize is the right one too.

When I went to the Fits header, the newly stacked images from dss had all the information in there but it still wouldn't work.

So yeah, I hope it works with some more tweaking with the images I got out of it but I really hope to find the issue for future projects.
this has been over 3 nearly 4 days of trying just to get the images Platesolved.
Jeroe 3.61
· 
Peter Christensen:

That was just a misstake in the screenshot I made because I did it so often. normally I did put the right date in there I made sure of that from the beginning.
ToddTTucker 0.00
· 
Jens, did you drizzle in DSS?  If you use drizzle, PI will typically not be blue to plate solve.
Jeroe 3.61
· 
Todd Tucker:
Jens, did you drizzle in DSS?  If you use drizzle, PI will typically not be blue to plate solve.

No drizzling was done with the data, I don't really have enough data to do that yet. so that shouldn't be an issue
ToddTTucker 0.00
· 
Okay.  The reason I asked is I have drizzled using DSS and found that PI will not plate solve afterward.
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
·  1 like
I know this is a bit off-topic, but just a quick note re drizzle and plate solving in PI ...

As I mentioned in my post a couple of days ago, I hit a similar dead-end with plate-solving, until I realised that drizzle was messing up the image scale after stacking in WBPP.

I let Juan @ PI know, and to his credit he fixed the problem very quickly, and it has worked OK for me since version 1.8.9-2 Build 1579, released on 29 August 2023.

Here is the thread on PI in case anyone finds it useful.

Register or login to create to post a reply.