Dedicated astrophotography camera paired with the Samyang/Rokinon 135mm lens? Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC · Menelaos · ... · 32 · 1875 · 7

Dcolam 3.31
· 
·  2 likes
Gael Gibert:
i have the feeling that if I don’t adjust the scopes with regard to one another, then I won’t be able to frame the wide field correctly and will just get whatever is around my main target (instead of a properly composed wide field image)

Hmm yeah sure,  the FOV at 135mm is so wide that it does not matter that much to me. I would go the other way around, compose for the narrow (550mm) field and then I get whatever comes with the Samyang. I have no chance to adjust the two scopes remotely.

Example shots I got from my first lights:

NGC7000_Esprit_printversion-1.jpgIMG-20240512-WA0005.jpg
EricGagne 2.15
· 
·  2 likes
BryanHudson:
I sold my ASI183MC pro to purchase ASI533MC Pro. Works great with my Samyang 135mm f/2 and accessories. It is my wide field rig.

I’m interested in the filter wheel, I have the same camera and lens but I didn’t think back focus could be achieve.  What model is it and did you use any spacer ?
Gurney 0.90
· 
Those pictures look great. The two scopes are pretty centered. 

I’ll give it a try w/o an alt-az platform then !
walter.leonhard 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I am using the 183MC-Pro exclusively with the Samyang 135 for three years now. I have no plans on changing anything on this rig, there is nothing wrong with this combination. The FOV is wide enough for some quite big nebulae. Sure, there are better cameras out there, but if you learn to use your tools the right way you will love them.
tomrgray
· 
I too use Altair version 183 (hypercam), initially OSC and now mono version too. Ideally suited to this lens. I can take 10+ min exposures on a star tracker (I use Skywatcher Star Adventurer 2i) with auto guiding. A great light weight travel rig, which takes 10 mins to setup.
Edited ...
jmarinotero 3.61
· 
Look into the Ogma 26CC (IMX571) sensor it comes with a tilt adapter. I am very happy with it. 

I used to pair it with the ASI533MC Pro and even though it is a superb camera, I was unhappy with the FOV.

20240309_120343.jpg

What adapter are you using to connect the OGMA with the lens? I have the Nikon version of the 135mm, currently with an OSC ZWO camera but I am thinking about putting the OGMA mono on it (I assume that is the OGMA filter wheel as well?)
Dcolam 3.31
· 
·  1 like
What adapter are you using to connect the OGMA with the lens? I have the Nikon version of the 135mm, currently with an OSC ZWO camera but I am thinking about putting the OGMA mono on it (I assume that is the OGMA filter wheel as well?)

Hey,

Originally, it is the Canon Version but I always was suffering from slight tilt so I put the M48 adapter from FLO on it. The Canon adapter is just held by three small screws. It is the Touptek filter wheel as the Ogma one was sold out in December. But they are the same, Touptek is the manufacturer of all most OGMA products. It is a little bit noisier and maybe slower as the ZWO one, but I don't mind, especially in a remote setting.

A mono camera would be sick. Would you mind sharing some sample master files once you build your setup? (I am also in the Trevinca discord, same name as here). Somehow I feel like either at 135mm the detail resolution is quite too low or maybe the OSC is not as crisp as mono could be.
BryanHudson 1.20
· 
Eric Gagne:
BryanHudson:
I sold my ASI183MC pro to purchase ASI533MC Pro. Works great with my Samyang 135mm f/2 and accessories. It is my wide field rig.

I’m interested in the filter wheel, I have the same camera and lens but I didn’t think back focus could be achieve.  What model is it and did you use any spacer ?

A little late responding to your question:
Back focus is not critical with this wide field setup. The focus range of Samyang 135mm f/2 is substantial. Stars remain round edge to edge. 
I use this EOS to T2 adapter for the ZWO five position 2” EFW. It has sufficient back focus built it: https://www.highpointscientific.com/zwo-eos-t2-adapter-for-asi-cameras-eos-t2-ii
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.