power issues ASI071MC Pro with ASI Air Generic equipment discussions · Jens Mascher · ... · 3 · 107 · 0

Jens-M. 0.00
Dear friends,

since months I have always the same ppwer issues when using the ASI 071 MC Pro connected to the ASI Air controller. ASI Air only recognizes  the camera when plugges over USB 3.0 interface, nothing other. BUT to power the camera I have to get more than 500mA over the 2.0 ports.  It seems that i can only get power from the ASI Air, not from external power sources? I tried Y-cables with more than 3A, switching separate configurations, nothing helped so far. Does anybody use this camera with the ASI Air together? The ASI Air GUI frequently shows the low power icon, sometimes the camera connection fails or imaging fails (preview, focusing) Any suggestions?

Thanks alot!

Jens
jcoldrey 3.35
Hi Jens. I have owned  quite a few ZWO ASI cameras, including 3 cooled (with external power input). In my experience, many of the 12v splitter cables do not work reliably with the cameras, so I needed up making my own.  From memory, I used the longer type 5.5mm x 2:1mm connectors.

I also purchased a cheap 10amp 12v power supply off eBay to supply ample juice for 2 cameras, dew heaters, etc. My previous 5 amp unit was stretched too thin.

Good luck getting things sorted.

Cheers,
Jeff
Edited ...
Ramanmadhira 0.00
Jens, I own zwo 071.  I don't use ASI air. In my experience, if you use the camera without cooling connected after few minutes, the power in the camera goes into trouble and shows waves on your image.
Edited ...
daniel.tackley 0.00
I have a battery with a 12v output for powering the ASI071 and 2 USB 5v outputs for powering the ASI Air and my SkyWatcher Star Adventurer Mini mount. I think it is a Poweradd Pilot Pro2.

Register or login to create to post a reply.