Hello from the Pacific Northwest, USA Introduce yourself! · Daniel Erickson · ... · 2 · 33 · 0

derickson 7.28
Greetings!

I was an active photographer and amateur astronomer back in the 1970s and early 1980s, but gave up both for a different life. Then, last November, I took up photography again--how times have changed! I returned to the skies in February of this year with my modest little Canon mirrorless camera and kit lens.

With 226 cloudy nights a year and Bortle 8 skies, AP in my backyard seems a fool's errand, but nonetheless I bought a tracker and compact little RedCat 51 and will push ahead. The learning curve is steep, but I intend to disprove the old adage that you can't teach old dogs new tricks...

Clear Skies,
Daniel
morefield 11.07
Welcome Daniel!  I too am located in the PNW, Portland the be specific.   But I've got you beat with Bortle 7 in my backyard ;).  Look up the Pacific Northwest Astrophotographers group here on Astrobin to see what others have gotten from our latitude and cloud challenged area.

Our local club uses a dark site about two hours out the gorge (Goldendale WA area) so we have an escape from the light and some clouds.  I personally also keep a remote scope in the CA Mountains but go for every opportunity locally and the backyard too.

Clear (and dark) skies,

Kevin
derickson 7.28
Thank you, Kevin. Nice to meet you! I've just joined the PNW group, so I'll start poking around there for some additional information. We've gone out to George (on the Gorge) a couple of times now and I've learned the hard way what 100˚+ temperatures do to my camera sensor... :- Guess that means I have to think about buying a cooled camera now.  ;)

From the Cloudy-White,
Daniel

Register or login to create to post a reply.